• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Searching for the right tomahawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I apologize. I put this post in the wrong group. Should have been in the accouterments group. If Admin could move it I would really appreciate it.

I'm interested in a tomahawk but I am cautious about pulling the trigger. My major concerns are listed below. I have looked at Amazon, Cold Steel, Crazy Crow, and TOTW just to name a few. Any suggestions from the more experienced?

1. It will be used often in camp and around the house.
2. Must be easily sharpened
3. Be able to drive a stake
4. Shave a feather stick
5..Strike a firesteel.

Have you checked on ETSY? You can buy some really nice forged heads and Crazy Crow has some nice curly maple and hickey shafts.. With a little effort you can make a nice hawk for under $75... here is a pipe hawk I made..... I bought the head on Etsy and shaft from Crazy Crow...It was a fun build.. total time invested, maybe 5 hours, and has a razor sharp edge....

Attachments

• hawk.jpg
    hawk.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 0
Have you checked on ETSY? You can buy some really nice forged heads and Crazy Crow has some nice curly maple and hickey shafts.. With a little effort you can make a nice hawk for under $75... here is a pipe hawk I made..... I bought the head on Etsy and shaft from Crazy Crow...It was a fun build.. total time invested, maybe 5 hours, and has a razor sharp edge....
Nice looking hawk. I will take a look at etsy.

The Blackhawk style is pretty versatile as an all-around hawk. It's got a flat peen on the back that can be used to drive tent stakes etc. It keeps a descent edge but I would recommend tempering the edge. I'm not sure about the fire starter part because I've never used one for that.View attachment 259747
I have looked at these and am curious about their quality and durability. Thank you for answering some of my questions.

I'm not opposed to learning how to throw but my main use will be camp chores. Thank you.
Almost all rendezvous have a knife and hawk throw as part of the competition
but there's no way a long hunter or mountain man would have thrown his last means of defense, looks cool in the movies though.

Awhile back I purchased a Cold steel hawk and had a flash of enlightenment. There is a difference between a true tomahawk and a utility axe. The tomahawk was designed and intended primarily as a close quarters weapon. It is light, quick and agile. However, its does not serve especially well as a woods tool. The axe on the other hand does much better at splitting kindling, felling trees, pounding stakes, etc. But it is too heavy to serve as a tomahawk. The Cold Steel offering tried to combine both and failed in both regards. Too heavy for effective use as a weapon and far less effective than a small hatchet.

I apologize. I put this post in the wrong group. Should have been in the accouterments group. If Admin could move it I would really appreciate it.

I'm interested in a tomahawk but I am cautious about pulling the trigger. My major concerns are listed below. I have looked at Amazon, Cold Steel, Crazy Crow, and TOTW just to name a few. Any suggestions from the more experienced?

1. It will be used often in camp and around the house.
2. Must be easily sharpened
3. Be able to drive a stake
4. Shave a feather stick
5..Strike a firesteel.

I don't see authenticity as one of your criteria... It appears you are looking for a purely functional tool. You have a lot of options.

I do see a possible conflict, in #2 and #5. By "firesteel," I'm assuming you mean a ferro rod. If you are thinking of striking an actual flint against your axe, your axe would be the firesteel. Some clarification would help. Anyway, you need pretty hard steel to scrape a ferro rod, and the harder the steel, the harder it is to sharpen. I like to be able to sharpen my axes with a file. This puts a good woodcutting edge on it. If I want to shave, I use a razor.

Modern (late 19th - early 20th century) axe design evolved for a reason. In my opinion, based on personal experience with various axes, hatchets, and tomahawks, classic early modern axes simply work better than tomahawks for camp chores. However, I like tomahawks for the same reason I would rather shoot a muzzleloader than a .30-30.

"Throwing Hawks" are a late 20th century phenomenon. People on the frontier absolutely threw axes and tomahawks; this is well documented. However, it was some time in the mid-20th century when the NMLRA codified the rules for competitive tomahawk throwing, and the "throwing hawk" was developed to stay within the codified guidelines while still pushing the limits of what is allowed. If you look at an old-time trade axe, like this one...

Trade Axe.png
... you'll see that the topline of the blade is level, and the bottom line runs straight. The width of the cutting edge is variable. In contrast, the topline of a "throwing hawk" flares upward, to maximize the width of the cutting edge (I think the rules allow 4"), and the bottom line is curved to take off weight. Also look at the handle. The trade axe has a sturdy handle, and this one actually has a knob carved on the end, to facilitate a better grip. On the other hand, a throwing hawk handle is tapered down to what I consider an uncomfortably small diameter to enable a clean release in throwing at a target. I would suggest that for your purposes, it would be best to steer clear of throwing hawks.

For driving stakes, you'll want a flat or hammer poll. This picture shows a Shrew Camp Axe that I bought from the late Ron LaClair some years ago.

H&B Camp Axe.jpg
The handle is straight, not curved. The appearance of a curve is just a photographic artifact. Anyway, it does have a nice, beefy handle so you can get a good grip. The head weighs about a pound, and the total length of mine is 16-1/2", with a 2-7/8" cutting edge. You can see it has a "hammer poll." I have not tried it on a ferro rod, nor have I tried knocking sparks off of it with a flint, so I can't comment on that. I think Ron designed these and marketed them from his archery shop, but they were actually made by H&B Forge, and the specs on this axe are very close to the H&B forge Medium Camp Hawk. These cost right at $100 now, but I didn't pay near that much for mine. They have really gone up. However, this is a genuine, high-quality hand-forged axe, and it looks exactly like an original from New Mexico that I saw pictured in a book I have. It doesn't chop or split wood as well as a more modern design, but it works pretty well for all of that, and it is a mighty handy little tool, while still being traditional. I would recommend it.

If you are less concerned about authenticity or tradition, I might also recommend one of these:

Flying Foxes.jpg
These little axes are both called "Flying Foxes." I don't know if these are legal under NMLRA tomahawk-throwing rules or not. The heads on these two are identical, weighing about 1-3/4 pounds, with a cutting edge just a hair under 4". The only difference is the type of handle. For general use, I prefer the straight handle, but that's just personal preference. The axe with the curved handle is about 15-1/2" long, while the straight-handled one is about 20-3/4" in total length. I have not used either of these a lot, but I have used them some. I got mine from Whiskey River Art and Trading. I bought the straight one when they had a sale, and then a little later they had some kind of deal that included a free Flying Fox. I requested the curved handle model for my freebie. These are made by Council Tools and are priced under $60.

Strangely enough, the curved-handle Flying Fox was designed for throwing in modern-day axe-throwing competition. I understand there are pubs or venues in a lot of cities where people can go to compete or just try it out. I've never tried it. You get a lot of young adults together in a confined space, drinking beer and throwing axes... What could possibly go wrong?

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
I have a Cold Steel "Pipe 'Hawk" (wish I went with the "camp 'hawk") tomahawk, that has been slightly modified (black coating removed, handle shortened and stained) and it performs well and seems near indestructible. The "pipe" part serves as a hammer pol and is not hollow and functional as a Pipe. It is a bit heavy, this why I wish I went with the "camp 'hawk" model.
But when I got the chance I had Zack Royer make me a more authentic tomahawk meant for work, not just throwing and games. I could not be more happy with the quality. Arrived very sharp and holds and edge.
I found him through the ALR forum and recently came across his business card,, but have lost it again. If I find it soon I'll post a pic of the card here.
20230815_190904.jpg
20230815_191137.jpg
20230815_191020.jpg
20230815_191201.jpg
20200507_155646.jpg
20200507_153224.jpg

20200507_154543.jpg

I also had him ship me a spare handle just in case 😉

Latest posts

Back