• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scrubbing out lead deposits.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gooddaytoya!

40 Cal
Reaction score
I posted a while back about my intention to cast a plug, and use it to hone my barrel for the purpose of cleaning up my bore (62 ca smoke pole). All your replies are very helpful, and after more reading and thinking I realize that using a hone like that would probably damage my barrel. To me, the best solution turned out to be using the Poor Boy method, wrapping it around to brass brush to scrub away deposits. It worked pretty well, but there are still a few deposits in the grooves of the rifling. I'm thinking of using lead solvent for gun bores to finish the job. Any comments, anyone?

Do it like the ODGs did. White vinegar/hydrogen peroxide 50/50. Pour in barrel. Let stand 5 minutes. Pour out. Wipe bore with tight patches. The black you see is a result of the chemical action on the lead. Wash barrel with water thoroughly and oil. Works every time. Don't let the mix sit in the barrel for more than 5min as it can etch the steel. The other way involves mercury.

It might be a good idea to take a clean piece of steel and put some vinegar/peroxide on it for whatever length of time you were willing to risk, before doing it in your barrel. Just to observe the effects ahead of time.

Last edited:
I posted a while back about my intention to cast a plug, and use it to hone my barrel for the purpose of cleaning up my bore (62 ca smoke pole). All your replies are very helpful, and after more reading and thinking I realize that using a hone like that would probably damage my barrel. To me, the best solution turned out to be using the Poor Boy method, wrapping it around to brass brush to scrub away deposits. It worked pretty well, but there are still a few deposits in the grooves of the rifling. I'm thinking of using lead solvent for gun bores to finish the job. Any comments, anyone?
Get a jug of Gunzilla , soak the bore over night wetting it with a cloth patch and the next day push a tight patch on a jag through the bore. It will lift lead out of a bore better than anything I have used in the last 50 years. A tight patch will squeal like a little pig as the cloth snags the Gunzilla de-solved lead and carbon deposits.

You may want to try a Lewis Lead Remover type deal. Others swear by COPPER chore boy. Make sure it’s the copper kind, steel would wear the barrel.

Valid point. I was just trying to get across that you can use something softer than that and still do the job without wear. As you said, unless you used it a lot, probably wouldn’t matter.

polish the bore with JB Compound a non-imbedding abrasive after cleaning. The smoother the bore the less imperfection to catch the lead and fouling. As a bonus it makes cleaning easier.
Bunk

Yes it will, about after 50,000 strokes!

I’ve been scrubbing new barrels with steel wool patches for a year or two now, the Lee Shaver method. When I’m finished the bore is very slick and smooth and coupled with an SPG lube/Stihl HP synthetic lube mixture on the bullets and leading is no longer an issue.

polish the bore with JB Compound a non-imbedding abrasive after cleaning. The smoother the bore the less imperfection to catch the lead and fouling. As a bonus it makes cleaning easier.
Bunk

I fire lapped a .54 renegade barrel with that stuff once. I bought the gun at a pawn shop, it had pretty wood but the bore was pitted down by the breech. I think I paid 60 bucks for it 20 some years ago. I’d clean and dry it, load one bullet coated with JB and fire it over 30 grains 3f. Clean, dry and repeat. I did that about 20 times and gave it to a friend. He’s still shooting it and it’s still a very easy to clean rifle. It’s accurate too, pits and all.

It might be a good idea to take a clean piece of steel and put some vinegar/peroxide on it for whatever length of time you were willing to risk, before doing it in your barrel. Just to observe the effects ahead of time.

Old steel has to be watched carefully as it's different from modern stuff. Up to 5 minutes is ok for modern guns, just don't do it all the time and then find out why it's leading in the first place.

A mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid can sometimes do the job on lifting lead.
It's best to get as much out as you can before starting the mechanical methods.

wouldn't using a bullet with a higher hard metal content, say more tin or antimony, work? just courious?

I use 1 inch squares of copper / brass window screen , cut them ,and push through with a tight fitting tip. the screen I get from my local ACE HDWARE STORE. works for me.

Back