• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Screwdriver question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cavscout

36 Cal.
Reaction score
i'm tired of trying to use regular screwdrives on my guns. is there a kit that someone reccommends that is good for using on guns. i have looked at all the different websites like brownells, but there are lots of different screwdrivers and prices. i thought i would ask is there a certain kit or type that works.. thanks

I bought one of those screw drivers where you can change the tips. Then one of the Wally World sets that have a bunch of different sizes. You will still need to spend a few quality minutes with a file and the tips to get them to fit perfect but it will be worth it in the long term not having buggered up screw heads.
PD

Scroll down to the bottom of this page and take a look at the screwdriver set there (called a "gunsmith's tool kit"):

http://lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/tools.htm

One handle with about two dozen different tips and three or four extensions, all in a cheap (flimsy) plastic carry case. The screwdrivers are "proper" in that they are hollow ground with parallel sides so they have the fight fit in the screw's slot. Cost is about $18. Chances are you only need two or three different tips for a muzzleloader, so you might want to buy individual fixed-blade drivers, but this is a pretty handy kit at a good price. Brownells has something similar for about $26. You can also find similar ones for about the same cost in some gun shops.

cav scout, if you're serious about working on guns, get the 44 bit magna tip set from brownells. I have the 58 bit set but you realy only need the flat bits. I have several sets of "gunsmith" screwdrivers. Save yourself the grief and expence and get the right ones the first time. They're a bit pricey at $110 but worth every penny.

Cody

Chapman has a simple set that goes for about $25 and I see that Smith and Wesson has just come out with a variety of gun driver sets.

CS

After messing up a few screws in my time---I bought the big Brownell set---seems like it's a lot of bucks for a screwdriver set---but you have an investment in guns you would like to keep looking good---this is the solution IMHO. :front:

I Have had A set of screwdrivers for quite A few years from [GraceMetal Products, Inc.]
Gunsmith Tools
P.O. Box 67 115 Ames Street
Elk Rapids Nichigan 49629
Advertised "For Gunsmith -To Fit Gun Screws"
I don't have a web site for them. They also have inletting scrapers, brass hammers and special hollow ground screwdrivers.

I also agree Brownells screw driver sets are what you need if doing any amount of gunwork. I got by for years with an 8 driver set from Grace but was glad I sprung for Brownells set of 24. Since I have bought their add on sets and ocassionally have replaced a few tips. you can also file one that is close to a perfect fit and then replace the original tip.

I have a grinder with a coffee can filled with water next to it :grin: .

When I worked for NCR many years ago as a cash register mechanic we had to take machines apart every few months and not bugger up the screw slots. So for the first few weeks of employment they had me hollow grind and temper screw drivers to fit tall the standard machine screws we used.

I have found that to be invaluable now as it seems none of the screw drivers I can find are hollow ground and few fit the screws I use in my muzzleloaders. It is not hard with the grinder and a coffee can of water. :thumbsup:

Back