• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scratching My Head

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of folks that aren't serious BP guys just don't know the difference. I see lots of cap guns on GB the seller calls a flintlock. They're not stupid; they just don't know because it ain't their "thing".

Just watch out when you buy one from him. He packs them poorly. Ask for extra packing and to wrap each individual part separately if he takes it apart to ship.

He simply tossed a loose barrel and loose stock into a box, added a few wads of newspaper and shipped a very nicely stocked Ardesa to me. When it arrive the stock was trashed from the barrel bouncing around loose.

When I spoke to him about it, he said call the shipping company. Really ruined a nicely finished gun.

Last edited:
That is the first time I've ever seen a back action flinter. By the time the back action lock was in circulation most of them were caplocks.

These are African trade guns, made from leftover parts for cheap sale. A lot made it over here for the bi centennial as decoration.
As a matter of fact I had a percussion version of the same gun in the late 1970's. The flint ones were notoriously poor sparkers. Needed hardening and sometimes carbon added to the frizzen. $695? The seller must have gotten hold of some that Khat stuff from Africa to go with his African trade gun. More like $200......

LD

I bought one of these new in about 1964 for $35.00 as I recall. It was one of the later ones (then) with the two-piece lock and coil mainspring. Shot it often as a 14 year old. But the frizzen will need hardened and possibly frizzen spring reduction. This looks like the better one with the one-piece lock plate and (I think) long, flat mainspring. It is likely a two-piece stock joined at the rear barrel band. This one appears in new condition, and probably never fired. BUT, still not $700.00. These show up on auction sites used for $300-400.00 range.

Rick

Back