• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scouting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit :eek:ff but to get my legs ready, I am going to ride the bike to work tomorrow.

Wish me luck, or at least wish me effective Advil :rotf:
Not too worried about the Am ride but my work days can be 12+ hours & there is 50/50 chance of afternoon rain LOL

So, it comes down to how many states?

Then I throw down Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Nebraska, Virginia, Kansas, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Texas and Alaska. :yakyak:

My only point is I have hunted in other places unlike some posters here who hunt on other folks land and never venture out of state.

Time to go.

marmotslayer said:
So, did you survive? :haha:

Yep, I lived. Sorry to all those that lost money on that one :rotf:

The rain didn't show so I'm not even sporting the drowned rat look :grin:

Turns out if I stay on it and push myself a bit, I can make it one way in just under 40 minutes.

Only thing that really hurts is my thumbs :( arthritis SUCKS!

Great prep for hunting season.

I have been lifting three days a week and fast walking the treadmill three days a week.

I rode bikes a lot in the past but nowadays my left knee just wont quite make it around the turn. Thinking shorter crank arms. I envy you guys who can ride.

Physical preparation. That's sorta hunting related, isn't it? :haha:

My only point is I have hunted in other places unlike some posters here who hunt on other folks land and never venture out of state.

Nothing wrong with that! We gotta hunt when and where we can. I'll probably never hunt outside Colorado again.

I find it interesting to read about the various hunting conditions that others have and how they adapt.

Many years ago I had a 13 mile route I biked as fast as I could every morning before work. I could run up mountains back then. KEEP ON KEEPIN ON.

I scout public land for areas other hunters aren't using, game sign is usually present, and just increases after the opener.

I haven't deer hunted in many years but when I did it was mostly public land within a few miles from my driveway, I am blessed to live almost geographically in the middle of a national forest.
i always scouted year round, more to learn the ground then anything but i would nearly always learn something else in the process. for bow season i didn't have much competition and found a spot within walking distance of home where i only hunted 2 or 3 times without seeing deer
for the general season i always hunted the river bottom setting up near trails or on ridges that a buck was working. i wasn't all that successful myself but rarely did i set a guest up that they didn't have a chance for a buck. a couple of my friends teased me that i should start a guide service. my theory is that God knew a deer kill didn't mean much to me so he sent them elsewhere, in truth it was probably because i am a fidgeter and they were busting me and slipping off. one of the last hunts i went on i took my brother who hardly hunts at all, i put him on the intersection of two trails with a scrape on each side of him, the buck was so close to where he was sitting that he heard him when he got out bed. he shot him from about 15 steps, leaned his gun (actually my daughters gun) against the tree and went to drag the deer to the trail, at about the second step the deer stood up behind him. he was trying to drag the deer to the gun and couldn't, he let go and sprinted the few steps to the gun and thankfully was able to finish him. i know, sounds like a fish story but i have no doubt it is true, you'd have to know my brother.

creek

Back