• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scottish all-metal pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also Highland charges work much better if you are charging downhill. Prince Charlie posted him men downhill and Stinking Willy posted his me on the high ground. Charlie would not give the order to charge. His men stood there for over an hour taking artillery before the McDonalds charged on their own.
I personally think the " aim to the right" tactic
was a hoax. After absorbing cannon fire for over an hour and a very long charge up hill, a standard
volley of the massed British troops would have laid the Weary Highlanders low. I think they also marched all night to reach Culloden. Prince Charlie got lucky at the start of the rebellion but he was no great field general and he did not listen to his officers on that day.
Scotland finally got her own parliment back a few
year ago, now they can be screwed by their own politicians just like we are!!! :surrender:

I'm bettin that after standing there under an artillery barrage for an hour "The Water of Life"* wore off and allowed the troops to start thinking about the situation before they attacked. :grin:

* = Scotch Whiskey

Hi Guys,

The Duke of Cumberland did indeed train his troops to bayonet(not shoot) the attacking Scot to the solder's right, not the one in front of him. This works to overcome the defensive ability of the targe, not the broadsword.

A common myth in America is the "Scotland vs England" nature of the battle of Culloden, which is not the case at all. There were 5000 Scots of the Jacobite side of the battle and 6000 Scots on the Hanoverian side. The issue they were fighting over was to reinstate the Stuart line to the throne of England, Scotland and Ireland (Also known as the United Kingdom or Great Britain).This is the bloodline kicked off during the ECW, brought back, and kicked off again during the Glorious Revolution.

As for the Highland Charge not working that day because of running uphill... it was a number of factors that made them fail that day, weather, lack of leadership, facing troops trained to deal with the charge, etc, etc.(the British military adapted the "Highland Charge" for their own use
and used it quite well after the "45"

Cheers,

DT

It worked pretty good until Cowpens! Buy then the Brits had newtered the Scots taking away their kilts and broadswords. Its funny they gave the Scots back their kilts and broadswords for the Napoleonic wars and they kicked arse again!

:bow:

A safety tip, if you see a big man wearing a kilt
with 3 or 4 blades showing one of them a broadsword, don't refer to his garment as a skirt!!

:bow: :bow:

The Kilts fell by the wayside due to the scrub terrain of the US, also they wore out pretty quickly. There are documentation that they had to make wee Kilts out of the full Kilts. The 42d still used their Kilts for Garrison duty. In 1812, most of the Highland regiments came wearing trousers, not Kilts, unless again on Garrison duty.

Zonie said:
The moral of the story is "Never argue with a man in a skirt who is carrying a large sword!" :grin:

P1000353.jpg

.....or for that mater a large musket...... :wink:

...as per the op......
i would like one of these pistols, they look pretty cool, altho i not really a fan of none having sights and/or a trigger guard of some sort. perhaps a folding trigger would be nice, and it would have a less snagging on a "holstering" in a belt or tunic pocket.

They don't go in the pocket or in a holster.

They have a long belt hook that can be slipped over the waist belt, hung from the sword's baldric or suspended from a strap & hung near the armpit under your coat.

Cheers,
DThangingGuard1.jpg

David

oh ya i knew that, but even still they look might be a bit snagging thats all.

At the Battle of New Orleans the Scots learned not to argue with a Kentucky fellow with a long rifle. They were fine targets for the Kentucky and East Tenn. Rifleman. And you just have to know they enjoyed shoot'in boys in mini-skirts. :rotf:

Let's see if I remember how to do this...
Here is my Highlander pistol. It is a copy of the one supposedly that fired the "shot heard 'round the world".

Back