• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Score: My new T/C Cherokee

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a crocket....suggest playing with charges from 12 gr up and find the best group then play with patch material and thickness, lube types and ball size. I am ordering a box of .315 to see if tightens my group. Even cap brand can make a small difference. Welcome, LOT to learn trolling these forums..

Those little Cherokees can be tricky. Their fast twist rate has to be considered. Though fast compared to usual logic for PRB, the ball's small
diameter responds to lower velocity levels. Usually they do their best with 20 grains of FFFg, .310" ball and .010" thick patch. Another consideration is that they will toss out a ball at about the same velocity of a .22LR with only 10 grans of FFFg...and that's 700 shots out of a pound of powder. When you start running up the charge, the accuracy can get chancy. If you can work out a descent group, 30 grains should get something between 1850 to 1880fps velocity. Going up the scale, 40 grains will run up to 1925fps and can be used for heavy bodied game like turkey. 50 grains gives 2020 fps but accuracy is more like a buckshot pattern! Cool but useless! A jump up of 10 grains at each level with those hard to find Maxis in .32 can up the 'smackdown' for coyotes, foxes, javelina...even farther away turkeys. Yes, deer PROBABLY could be taken, but the chance of a bad result is too high for me. Good luck and have fun!

I have 2 cherokee's and a .32 hawkin. All shoot tight shamrocks with 30gr of fff and prb. I have the maxi mould and they love them too

Thanks. I haven't measured the twist rate yet. Do you know what it is? Also, the velocity info is interesting. I don't have a chronograph these days and I've been real curious about velocities from all my BP guns. So far I haven't found any good reference materials that have velocities. Can anyone suggest any? I do, however, have a little experience with round balls of this diameter. I used to load patched .310 balls in a 30-06 case with Bullseye pistol powder to hunt turkeys and squirrels. I got about 1800 fps and it was pretty accurate.
Thanks again for the help, guys. This is a great site.

Some years ago I had a friend in Houston who did the same with a .375 H&H maggie, his squirrel load was a .375 round ball...what the heck, it worked...but back to muzzleloading.

I never actually chronographed my loads in a Cherokee but Sam Fadala did for his extensive work "Black Powder Loading Manual". At a 70 degree temp. he recorded:
10 grains FFFg-1120fps
20 grains FFFg-1649fps
30 grains FFFg-1871fps
40 grains FFFg-1919fps
50 grains FFFg-2016fps

His conclusion, which paralleled my own accuracy results, were 20 grains for the most accurate, 30 grains for the optimum small game load and 40 grains for tougher game like turkey or larger predators. He noted the 50 grain load as not sufficiently accurate, I agree, finding the groups rather enlarged over the 30 or 40 grain loads. The little 10 grain load was fun to shoot, reasonably quiet and sufficient for squirrel & rabbit(700 shots per pound of powder is a plus)...Ma Williams churned out some excellent hassenpfeffer with the results!
The .32 & .36 caliber Cherokee and Seneca use the 1-30" twist rate for these small bores as a compromise to stabilize these small balls at reduced velocity. Other commercial and custom made .32's use slower twist rates and give better accuracy results at faster velocity. TC also intended the faster twist to stabilize the small Maxi ball rounds they made for these guns. These slugs allowed the small bore shooter to 'up' their game for the larger game and predators, namely turkey, javelina, fox or coyote. I don't consider either as sufficient for deer but it has been done. They are small game tools and should be used as such. They are light and handy, excellent guns for their intended function. Good luck and good shooting.

Latest posts

Back