• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scopes on a percussion....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If eyesight is good enough then taditional or peep sites seem to be the right approach. It is what I currently use on my muzzle loaders, and I have no muzzle loader that isn't a sidelock.

When eyesight is not so good, a guy has a choice, quit hunting or go to optical assist. I never want to quit hunting and I don't want to wound animals so PC or not, I will do what I have to to ensure I can hit my targets, even if it means putting a modern scope on the gun.

These more PC correct scopes are fine, till your eyes are not as good. I have Unertls on a couple of rifles and as good as they are, and they are far suuperior to the new Malcolms which I have also tried, they are no where near as good as the new Leupolds, Swaros and Zeiss. Just my 2 cents, everyone else is free to do exactly as they please.

Stumpkiller said:
Not quite the very last words. But he died of a gunshot wound during the battle of Spotsylvania the same day as having made the remarks:

The general said laughingly, "What! What! Men, dodging this way for single bullets! What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.

And later repeated:

"Why, my man, I am ashamed of you, dodging that way" and repeated the remark, " They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."

It goes down as a stupid remark in the retelling, but if you review the day he was a brave man, hiding whatever fear he knew from his troops.

(No evidence scopes were used by the Confederates in the incedent).
http://www.civilwarhome.com/sedgwickdeath.htm[/quote]

Agreed, Sedgwick was a brave man and a good leader who cared for his men. But there is, as Stumpy said, no evidence whatsoever that a scope was used in this case. For that matter, the scoped arm was extremely rare and fragile during the era, scopes of the day could not stand up to military use - open sights and good eyesight were the "sniper's" tools of the day and this shot was no exception.

Last edited by a moderator:
... I never want to quit hunting and I don't want to wound animals so PC or not, I will do what I have to to ensure I can hit my targets, even if it means putting a modern scope on the gun. ...

Absolutely! Too bad everyone does not share your high morals as a hunter. Some are just "killers"!

Back