• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scopes on a percussion....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogmann

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone use a scope on a pecussion?
What mount is the best or what mount are you using?

Well....this is a Pre-1840 "ish" site so modern type scopes probably shouldn't be discussed. The only PC scopes that I know of would be late in the muzzle loading era and were long and skinny- like a 22 rimfire scope except about 2 feet long. I would assume they had a very small field of view and I think they were used mostly by buffalo hunters that had plenty of time to find their target in the scope.
So, to be honest, I really don't know much about them and probably a lot of other folks don't know. I have no idea about their magnification or field of view. Maybe some folks with this knowledge could inform the rest of us.

I have been wondering similar things but I had the good sense to keep it to myself. But now that the cat is out of the bag....
Wouldn't all the crud coming out the rifle mess up the scopes front lens?

Scopes are period correct up through the civil war. I had a good friend who had a "tube Scope " on a 54 caliber Hawken. It was constantly getting "knocked out of alighnment" And I for one would not bother with one do to the problems they give you when cleaning and getting "bumbed around " If you eyes have trouble focusing try going with a peep site! :idunno: :idunno:

I guess I'm confused, but I thought this forum referred to Percussion Rifles as opposed to inline style, and not an era factor. :confused:

bassnfool said:
I guess I'm confused, but I thought this forum referred to Percussion Rifles as opposed to inline style, and not an era factor. :confused:

Depends on the area you post. Most on this site want pc/hc with their weapons and accessories.

bassnfool said:
I get confused also. If I have any doubts about a topic I post it anyways and I figure if I post it in the wrong section one of the Mods or Claude will move it like they have before.

non muzzleloading section usually. Like cynthialee said it usually gets moved by mods or cluade to the right area. Especially lately there's been some cranky people responding so better safe than sorry lol. I've seen some scopes non pc/hc mounted on some smoke poles and all I can say is 1st with the range you'll get out of your ordinary ML it doesn't really give you any edge over open sights, of course I never really like scopes in general. I have seen a few crockett .32 rifles where they were directly fixed to the barrel

mjac said:
So...........where do the non pc/hc muzzleloader posts go?
If you mean modern, inline muzzleloaders, they don't go here at all.

Rule one when people join this Forum...

1. The focus of this site is "Traditional Muzzleloading"; The history of the people, the muzzleloading weapons and battles, up to and including the American Civil War. (From the inception of firearms through 1865)
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showrules.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Dogmann said:
Does anyone use a scope on a pecussion?
What mount is the best or what mount are you using?
In the meantime, whether or not the thread gets moved, one example of scope mounting marketed by T/C is the simple flat "Weaver" style base...using existing screw holes at the back of the breech plug and for the rear sight.

Photo from a T/C Catalog:

080909ScopeMountingTCHawken.jpg

I do't use them, probably should, but I have a coupe of scope mounts that require no drilling and tapping. They clamp on to the barrel and use Weaver rings. When they were made, can't remember by whom, they came in various sizes to accomodate barrels from 3/4" up to 15/16".
Mark

Actually I meant non pc/hc muzzleloaders such as T/C, CVA, Lyman, Traditions, etc. or are they tolerated based upon style? I apologize my rather broad eariler post.
I knew inlines were out.
Thanks for further clarification.

I talking about percusiion side hammer rifles like TC's, Lymans, CVAs.... Just wanted to know about what mounts were good.

I think that a modern scope on a side lock would look terrible, but I have thought about the brass tube scopes since the older I get the worse my vision gets :shocked2: I will say that unless I get to go on one of those dream elk hunts I don't hunt and one of the brass ones might at least let me keep my shots on paper.... :rotf:

Brass: http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_129_647&products_id=4040

Black: http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_129_647&products_id=15300

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen many a fine BP rifle screwed up by some idiot drilling screw holes right above the chamber/breech area.
Most BP shooting is done less that one hundred yards.
Unless you have poor eye sight, why would you want to put a Bushnell scope on a 75 yd. gun?
If you wish to replicate a tube type scope on a target rifle of the late 1800's fine.
But some twit that mounts his hunting rifle scope on a fine BP rifle makes me gag with discust.
Grumpy Old Ford

I don't know about that one but the old originals were very low power and the field of view was tiny.

To make matters worse, the lenses often didn't have any correction for chromatic aberration.

This could give a colored halo around whatever they were pointed at.

They did have the advantage that all telescopic sights have though.
They put the image of the target (whatever it was) on the same visual plane as the crosshairs so the shooter didn't have to try to focus on objects at different distances at the same time.

Back