• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Schriet rifle butt plate and trigger guard

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy Bruce

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a butt plate and trigger guard like those on the Schriet rifle? I've seen some "early Reading" styles but the butt plate appears to be a bit narrow.
Thanks

Look at TOTW buttplat K-5-B.
Forget the existing triggerguard on the Schreit unless you want to make a copy of it after it was messed with. It isn't original to the rifle and the paneling along the toe has been shaved down as well. I used a german/american TG and made the paneling more of an early step down wrist into the toe line like the original was before it was messed with. Look closely at the pics in Shumways RCA I. You can see that the triggerguard finial from the original TG is still faintly seen extending past the present finial of the existing TG. I used the TG-K-5-B from TOTW. That was just my preference as no one knows for sure what the original guard looked like. Other possibilities could be TG-Early-2-B or TG-Early-4-B. Go early Germanic for that period of rifle.

Shumway also gives some dimensions of the rifle. The buttplate is wide. It is also a deep BP so that may be why you think it looks narrow. :thumbsup:

I've been told that photos exist of this rifle in it's original step-wristed glory. It was in an English auction catalog some years ago. While the stock was still in it's original condition, there was supposed to have been a big, swirly Victorian (ugh) triggerguard on the gun. While I can definitely see the replacement of the guard on the gun's return to America, I cannot fathom why the step was cut down... :shake:

Back