• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass screws

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steel would be better and that’s what old guns used, I’m removing brass screws on a couple of rifles now. You can have the brass ones if you want them just PM your address.

Steel would be better and that’s what old guns used, I’m removing brass screws on a couple of rifles now. You can have the brass ones if you want them just PM your address.
Ok, I'm just putting together some CVA pistols and that's what they were started with. There's some missing. I also have one I'm going to need a trigger guard, so I want to finish it with the brass.
I appreciate ya

If I may ask, where you guys get your brass screws? Like for the trigger guard, butt plate and so on.
There's a place called Blacksmith Supply, I believe, down south that sells round-head steel screws like the old fashioned kind should you not want brass. They sell bolts and such, I have the name written down elsewhere but can retrieve it.

I didn't think about the old days. I just wanted to replace the ones missing. I've got some coming, so I guess I'll just go with the brass. Maybe later on I'll decide to go with steel.
Thanks guys

Jap

Yeah I thought of them. But being about 20 miles from me. I haven't been there. I live in a little town with no hardware store. Home Depot is the closest to me and that is about 15 miles and all they have is Phillips head.

Yeah, I hear ya. Used to be a 35 mile drive for me but when Lowe's moved out Ace took over. Now Ace is 2 miles away and I've got a 20 mile drive to Lowe's. LOL

Yeah, I hear ya. Used to be a 35 mile drive for me but when Lowe's moved out Ace took over. Now Ace is 2 miles away and I've got a 20 mile drive to Lowe's. LOL
I used to restore antique engines and Ace was the place to go. It's an old store and they had brass valves and oilers. Square head nuts and bolts. Now most everything is online.

Yeah I thought of them. But being about 20 miles from me. I haven't been there. I live in a little town with no hardware store. Home Depot is the closest to me and that is about 15 miles and all they have is Phillips head.
If you're going with brass Phillips head won't make any difference. Phillips heads are just as authentic as brass screws.

Ace Hardware.
This is a farming area. The local Ace Hardware is huge and has lots of things you won't find in a city or suburban store.
Loose nuts, bolts, screws, cotter pins, washers etc etc are in a ten yard long five foot tall cabinet of small labeled drawers with dividers. Plastic bags with a printed grid for listing your contents sit on top of the cabinet with ballpoint pens. Honor system all the way.

If you're going with brass Phillips head won't make any difference. Phillips heads are just as authentic as brass screws.
I'm not looking for authenticity, just assembling with original. I figured slotted head might look better than Phillips head. Ain't no gun of mine is gonna to have phillips screws on them. They look kinda tacky (?) to me.

Back