• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

school me on Triple 7 BP substitute

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to drive to a larger town this weekend and see what I can find. Hope black, if not its gonna have to be triple 7. Seems the #11 caps are harder to locate than powder.

Last edited:
Last time I checked, Triple 7 was going for about $ 35.00 a pound.
Black powder is about 20ish a pound. With the hazmat and shipping, you'll pay about that same 35 a pound. I'd rather have real black.
yes that is the price you quoted on 7-7. but it is in stock at most gun shops.

Triple Seven is a good powder. In some conventional guns it may be necessary to use a magnum #11 cap.

Tripe Seven leaves a light residue in the bore. Clean up after firing Triple Seven is a snap compared to black powder.

No one in my small town carries BP, and it would be a 2 hour drive to a large town. Ordering BP is out of the question with the high hazmat shipping charges. One local shop does have ffg triple 7.

So can someone please school me on the pros and cons of using 777. I know that you need to reduce the charge by 15%, but thats about all I know.

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

Thanks
Bill
I have been using it for many years in percussion rifles with no cons of any kind. Its a no-brainer in shotguns and revolvers which are direct ignition. I’m happily using 10 yr old Pyrodex but Triple7 does seem to gave a shelf life issue at that age. Because of the lower density of Pyrodex, you get many more loads/pound vs black.

I have been using it for many years in percussion rifles with no cons of any kind. Its a no-brainer in shotguns and revolvers which are direct ignition. I’m happily using 10 yr old Pyrodex but Triple7 does seem to gave a shelf life issue at that age. Because of the lower density of Pyrodex, you get many more loads/pound vs black.

Thanks Billy Boy ! Appreciate the information.

I use T7 and like it alot. It does seem hotter, but burns well and cleans up well.

I can shoot 54 conicals 10-15 without swabbing. Goes off everytime, not like pyrodex.

Going to drive to a larger town this weekend and see what I can find. Hope black, if not its gonna have to be triple 7. Seems the #11 caps are harder to locate than powder.
If you find Triple Seven powder, get the Hot Shot, Red Hot or Spitfire nipple for your rifle. These will send a hotter flame to the powder charge. You may also look for #11 Magnum caps. These have a little more priming compound in the nipple and are designed to carry a hotter flame to the powder charge.

Tripple Seven is a volume replacement for black powder. It is less dense and the equivalent load of a charge of Tripple Seven or Pyrodex to a given weight of black powder will weigh less on a scale. You need to have a volumetric powder measure. My favorite is this one shown in the following link from Midway USA: Traditions Hunter Flask Powder Measure 5-120 Grains Brass (midwayusa.com). You have the benefit of a consistent load being measured into the adjustable tube. Use the tube to load the powder into the muzzle.

Last edited:
This always come up, but if you want to salt some powder away remember real
black powder stores for decaades. Substitutes are not as stable for long term
storage. Having said that, T-7 is a great powder that packs a whollop. You still
must clean your gun the same despite advertising that claims cleaner burning.

I use T7 and like it alot. It does seem hotter, but burns well and cleans up well.

I can shoot 54 conicals 10-15 without swabbing. Goes off everytime, not like pyrodex.
it is known that it is 15% hotter & you should reduce the charge as such.

I knew it was hotter but was not aware it was 15% hotter....so if I'm shooting 60 grains of T7 would that be comparable to about 75 or 80 grains of real black?

Back