• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Wheellock - Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Lately, there seems to be a lot of discussion on wheellocks. So I thought I would post some pics for one of the locks in my collection. I picked this up from a dealer while at the Baltimore Antique Arms Show a number of years ago.
This is what is commonly referred to as a Double Pawl Wheellock Detached Lock. Michael Tommer (aka Matchlock) assigned this lock to Italy, about 1600. The lock was complete, except missing it's trigger bar as you can see in the last photo. There was no sign of breakage or other force. It just appeared to be removed for some unknown reason. So I sent the lock to Earl Kathan and he made a new trigger bar which I'll post on the next set of photos. The lock is large, musket size.

Rick
wheellock-4 001 (Medium).jpg
wheellock-4 002 (Medium).jpg
wheellock-4 004 (Medium).jpg
wheellock-4 003 (Medium).jpg

Here is the same lock with the new trigger bar added. Earl did an excellent job. The lock is now in working order. I had only one curiosity: The "length" of the trigger bar seemed a bit too long in my view. So I mentioned this to Earl in a phone conversation. And here was his response: "Rick, I left it a tad long intentionally. Knowing you as I do, you might try having a custom gunsmith build you a gun using this original lock" LOL. DARN. Of course, I would not do this in this case. But I will admit to having done things like this in the past. LOL

Rick
DSC00755 (Medium).JPG

Thank you for sharing this. I have come across these Italian locks a fair amount recently, and have been confused by the two cocks. Do you think it is incase a pyrite wears out? It is additionally strange that they seem to be on both military guns and sporting guns, though I admit I have a bit of trouble telling the different in the period around 1600.
Screenshot 2023-03-28 090105.jpg

Last edited:
Rick,

Taking a closer look at your lock, there are two additional details I found interesting. First, the back (barrel side) of the cocks are flat and undecorated. It makes sense for the tolerances and functions of the lock, but I had not noticed it before and is something to look out for in the future. Second, is the decoration on the spring. I have seen others with that, but it is a great example of how these are not made with any economy or (hand made) mass production in mind. Thanks again for sharing your lock!

Rick,

When you have some time, would you be willing to share some dimensions of this lock, such as the overall length of the lock and the plate thickness? Thanks!

... it is a great example of how these are not made with any economy or (hand made) mass production in mind.
Great observation! If you look at the inside of the lock, look how handmade it appears, with a hand wrought patina of this Italian lock from the 1600s no less, as that is EXACTLY how the wheellock that Brian Anderson made for me looks!

I had one from the current renown wheellock maker, who is an expert craftsman to be sure ... but I sold it ... it looked like it came off a CNC machine ...dare I say it, the metal work was too perfect.

Great observation! If you look at the inside of the lock, look how handmade it appears, with a hand wrought patina of this Italian lock from the 1600s no less, as that is EXACTLY how the wheellock that Brian Anderson made for me looks!

I had one from the current renown wheellock maker, who is an expert craftsman to be sure ... but I sold it ... it looked like it came off a CNC machine ...dare I say it, the metal work was too perfect.
That gun certainly is a gem!

It is a small bummer that in the interest of practicality and cost, the forged aesthetic of muzzleloader locks are replaced by cast and cnc. Obviously it is understandable because this would be an extremely small community if hand forged locks were the only type available.

Yeah ... small as in ZERO! I know guys hand forging flintlocks, as there's a great Group on Facebook called 'Scratch Built Locks' where one poster just added a diagram he starts out with of his source steel, which has this long rectangular projection that is where the pan would be.

When forging, he bends that tab down and doubles the thickness to make both the bolster and pan at the same time. Amazing skill! As he's not using 1/2-molds, where some lock plates are 'beaten into submission' by forging red hot metal into that mold. That was called mass production back then, haha!

Yeah ... small as in ZERO! I know guys hand forging flintlocks, as there's a great Group on Facebook called 'Scratch Built Locks' where one poster just added a diagram he starts out with of his source steel, which has this long rectangular projection that is where the pan would be.

When forging, he bends that tab down and doubles the thickness to make both the bolster and pan at the same time. Amazing skill! As he's not using 1/2-molds, where some lock plates are 'beaten into submission' by forging red hot metal into that mold. That was called mass production back then, haha!
I’ve come across that group. It’s very cool, but I wish there were more of the pre flintlock locks lol. I have the lock forging booklet that covers that method with open molds. It’s very cool. Their description of tumbler mills is another really cool example of tools that are super simple and hand made, but give a glimpse of the future efficiencies.

I have lofty goals of trying to forge a wheellock. There actually are two places that teach blacksmithing near me, but I’ve been out of town for the beginner weekends. I would probably need to wait until I move to try and forge at home. Hopefully one day…

In Armin Koenig’s writings he says that in ‘historical’ practical use a well-made wheellock could expect 75 to 85% chance of firing … so the 2nd wheel/chance was to keep you alive, lol!
After researching hand forging, I wonder how much modern techniques increase reliability. I am not even sure if there was a hand made way to make a completely symmetrical radius, which would be needed on the wheel and spindle. I assume with modern measuring tools and machining, the action of a wheellock would be much more consistent?

Medieval spring pole lathes existed in the 1600s and when one thinks about how that or even water-wheel driven corn mills work, I can envision the old timers having a manner to 'turn/grind steel' in a circular manner (before hardening), which would achieve the symmetry sought.

Medieval spring pole lathes existed in the 1600s and when one thinks about how that or even water-wheel driven corn mills work, I can envision the old timers having a manner to 'turn/grind steel' in a circular manner (before hardening), which would achieve the symmetry sought.
That’s a good point. I forgot that almost no gun makers from this period were a one man show, so apprentices could be used for any turning mechanism for shaping.

While researching Italian wheellocks, I found Michael Tromner's own Italian wheellock musket's auction page. You can see the similarity of lock plate shape. The key feature I have noticed is the pronounced concave curve to the bottom lock plate edges, opposed to straight or a very gentle curve:

2077-02_hrmynb.jpg

2077-06_on9k7e.jpg

Screenshot 2023-07-16 153720.jpg

Compared to:
2023-05_efryoa.jpg

If anyone knows of an Italian wheellock musket with two dogs please let me know. So far I have only found the carbines and earlier arquebuses. I know they are out there.

I love the stock on that long Wheellock gun.
Much agree. The stock architecture does show the Italian builders thinking on stock design of the period. A matchlock from the same period could likely turn up with the same stock design. Michael's collection was incredible. So sorry to see it being split off for sale.

Rick

Much agree. The stock architecture does show the Italian builders thinking on stock design of the period. A matchlock from the same period could likely turn up with the same stock design. Michael's collection was incredible. So sorry to see it being split off for sale.

Rick
hopefully they were able to go to people that would appreciate them. I’ve seen the auction listings for many of his pieces, but not his giant petronel musket. I wonder where that went…

hopefully they were able to go to people that would appreciate them. I’ve seen the auction listings for many of his pieces, but not his giant petronel musket. I wonder where that went…
I don't think we will ever know where all of his collection ended up. His collection of period accessories was as impressive as the guns themselves. But most of all, his knowledge. Unlike the heavily decorated sporting pieces for the wealthy, all of his collection had a military connection. Michael was considered by many (if not most) to be the premium authority on 400-700 year old guns. He is very much missed.

Rick

Back