• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sawdust & wax

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keppy

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I read some place that you take sawdust and wax to make a emergency fire source to start a fire. I remember the muffin pan, but don't recall how it was done. Anyone know how to do this. Sounds like a good idea. I have lots of candle wax. I can make lots of sawdust. Thanks

Just make it into a cake. Lots of sawdust bound with wax. It should light right up.

HD

We use cardboard egg cartons; fill the egg "pockets" with sawdust, and then pour the molten wax into them slowly until you reach the top of the pocket. Tear them apart and you have handy if somewhat bulky firestarters. A smaller, and more PC looking (though probably not truly PC) method is to roll some musket cartridge-style tubes and fill them the same way. Just don't get them confused with the real cartridges!!! (you'll know about the time you bite into the sawdust/wax mixture...) :grin:

m

Cotton balls dipped in parafin work pretty well too and gause soaked in parafin is good too. You can roll it all up and keep it in a small can or plastic container. I use an old plastic pill bottle. It's not very PC, but I don't do reencting.

marmot said:
We use cardboard egg cartons; fill the egg "pockets" with sawdust, and then pour the molten wax into them slowly until you reach the top of the pocket. Tear them apart and you have handy if somewhat bulky firestarters. A smaller, and more PC looking (though probably not truly PC) method is to roll some musket cartridge-style tubes and fill them the same way. Just don't get them confused with the real cartridges!!! (you'll know about the time you bite into the sawdust/wax mixture...) :grin:

m
I do the egg carton thing with one addition...I microwave it for about 30 seconds. It letsthe wax seep into the sawdust and paper. lights real good and burns for about 7 minutes!

Ive done the egg carton/sawdust/wax thing too, and ive found that fine wood shavings, such as what comes off a chain saw work much better than fine sawdust.

Pine cones dipped in wax and rolled in shavings work well too.

AND another good starter is smokeless powder mixed with finger nail polish remover, mix small quantities adding a little nail polish remover at a time until you have a doughy paste, roll it into a nickle sized ball and let harden. they actually burn with an exposed but controlled flame for a couple of minutes, and quite hot. enough to get most tinders started easily.

I also carry several of the individually packaged alcohol wipes in my pocket, they can serve many perposes from cleaning a small injury, to a much needed firestarter.

Stoke that up with a bit of charcloth and have the twigs, stick and logs ready for action.

spottedpony,
I did the sawdust&wax thing and was disappointed
in the results.(mite of been my mixture)Then I tryed it with some coal chippings added. Better
but I was still not satisfied.Then on a wim I
tried magnisium shavings added to the sawdust/wax
micture.Bingo!Burned very hot and fast..still
need tender but put your fire wood on top of it.
DO NOT PUT THIS MICTURE IN A MICROWAVE!!! :nono: for the obvious reason.Not PC
but works great.
snake-eyes :hmm:

I've been doing this for many years. I use them for backpacking and starting the barbecue in the backyard.

I use the egg cartons, old candles or new parafin wax, but instead of sawdust I use hamster shavings (new, without the little hamster droppings). Burns well and can start a damp fire in the mountains

WB

We also use the sawdust and wax. I use an old ice cube tray for the mold. Well, it wasn't an old tray until I used it for making these firestarters.
After using these "cubes" for a time I added the extra little item that I thought might be missing. A wick for easier lighting.
Now when I mold these cubes I bury a candle wick in the shavings and allow it to stick out a half inch or so.
snagg

i've always used the egg carton meathod but instead of sawdust or woodshavings i've always used laundry lint. just shove in down into the egg cartons and fill'er up, when the wax hardens jsut tear them apart. you light the corner of the egg carton and it will stay lit for about 10 minutes

hold strong
Son

Cotton balls covered in Vasoline also works well. I will stuff 3-4 into an empty film container(not so common now with digital cameras) and they will burn for several minutes. I always have a few of these on me when I go hunting.

Funny how new things always end up old things after we get done with them!
The other day I wanted to make char cloth,the only cotton I could find was a pair of my wifes pjs.
I asked her if I could use an old cookie tin,then I asked her if I could have the cookie tin because when I got done with it she would not want it back.
The tin was okay with her,I have not told her about her Pj bottoms yet.
When she asked me what I was gonna use for the char cloth I just told her an old pair of pj bottoms(I did not tell her whose,so it was not really a lie,if I say that enough it might sound convincing when she finds out)!

Latest posts

Back