• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler side effect?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim Kibler himself posted on this thread that he makes "non customizable kits". That statement reminds me of what Henry Ford said about the Model T," you can have any color you want as long as it is black". That went on to make Ford one of the leading companies in the auto industry. But even back then there were people who didn't want a black Model T and there were other companies who were more than happy to offer cars in other colors and they also became successful. If you like Kibler kits then buy them He needs loyal customers to be successful. I don't see the idea some have that he is going to put the custom builders out of business because they offer something you can't get from Kibler. If you like Pennsylvania style rifles their are other companies that make nice kits for that. I prefer to make rifles in a style I like which he doesn't offer, no big deal I buy a stock I can modify to get what I want. To shoot my best a stock built for an average shooter doesn't fit me so I make rifles that fit me. Every rifle I make is one of a kind, I have no desire to have a rifle that is just like thousands of others.
What IS a "Pennsylvania style" rifle in your opinion?
There were many gunsmith schools in Pennsylvania over the 18th and 19th centuries. I personally like the early Christian Springs , Lancaster, and later Bedford styles. But I also like Virginia styles as well.
Kibler rifle kits can also be modified to some extent, if you have the vision and carving skills.
My area of interest is the F&I War and American Revolution so the Kibler Colonial and Woodsrunner rifles fit. I am also looking forward to the Fowler.

What IS a "Pennsylvania style" rifle in your opinion?
There were many gunsmith schools in Pennsylvania over the 18th and 19th centuries. I personally like the early Christian Springs , Lancaster, and later Bedford styles. But I also like Virginia styles as well.
Kibler rifle kits can also be modified to some extent, if you have the vision and carving skills.
My area of interest is the F&I War and American Revolution so the Kibler Colonial and Woodsrunner rifles fit. I am also looking forward to the Fowler.
In my opinion A Pennsylvania style is a rifle made in PENNSYLVANIA and a Kentucky style rifle is one made in KENTUCKY just like an Indiana style would be made in INDIANA. I personally like the Berks county rifles especially the earlier ones. You actually have 6 different areas. there is the Reading School which most associate with Berks but then around the edges you get a mixture of Reading and the style of the county which those areas border so there is quiet a lot of variation on Berks County rifles. John Schriet was one of the first gunsmiths in Reading. I did not mean to give the idea that a Kibler could not be customized, only that you couldn't order a custom one from the factory and like it or not I would say Kibler has become a factory. Have seen several nicely carved ones by the owners some more elaborate than others. Have also seen some where the rifle was purchased then sent to a custom builder to be assembled, carved and engraved beautifully. Jim actually customized one of the Woodsrunner's himself. The incised carving he offers on it is way too busy for me but the one that he donated where he modified that incised carving into relief carving was truly a beautiful rifle.

Pleased CNC wasn't about when The Mantons, Henry Nock,Twigge and Chas.Smith were about. Their Craftsmensthip would have never been seen.. AND Their surviving guns still work as intended..How many Modern Repros will be cherrised as those are in 250 yeats?? O.D.

All I know is Jim Kibler makes extraordinary rifle kits. IMO, and from everything I have read and heard, his kits are well above the others available today. It appears they are the quintessential rifle kits. To add to it, his customer service is very good. Even though I do not have enough “fun tickets” to purchase one at this time, my want bumps are itching real bad. From everything I have heard and read about Kibler SMR’s, I will not even consider anything other when the time comes to purchase a new rifle.

I, for one, will gladly accept the CNC aspect of them.

As long as I’m wishing , I’d love to see a percussion model Kibler SMR, but I doubt that will ever come to be. Mr. Kibler has stated they are running at capacity as it is. He knows how to run a business.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back