• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Saw this meme Percussion v Flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my muzzle loaders of both persuasions. But if I hear glass break in the middle of the night I'll be reaching for something else.
I don't knowww.... I'd like to picture myself confronting an intruder with a flinter volley gun loaded with jacks and dirty pennies. "Tally Ho lad!"

Own a musket for home defense, since that's what the founding fathers intended. Four ruffians break into my house. "What the devil?" As I grab my powdered wig and Kentucky rifle. Blow a golf ball sized hole through the first man, he's dead on the spot. Draw my pistol on the second man, miss him entirely because it's smoothbore and nails the neighbors dog. I have to resort to the cannon mounted at the top of the stairs loaded with grape shot, "Tally ho lads" the grape shot shreds two men in the blast, the sound and extra shrapnel set off car alarms. Fix bayonet and charge the last terrified rapscallion. He Bleeds out waiting on the police to arrive since triangular bayonet wounds are impossible to stitch up. Just as the founding fathers intended.

Well Mr Flint? What sayest thou?

View attachment 153046
Well, I'd day I like the meme.
Looks like product development and proof of concept to me.
Also looks like a royal pain to deal with.

I've found my flintlock to be more reliable than the caplocks I've had once I learned propped care and feeding,,,, I've heard others say the same. Also easier to deal with when they don't go bang.
Has anyone ever said this about matchlocks or wheellocks?

Well, I'd day I like the meme.
Looks like product development and proof of concept to me.
Also looks like a royal pain to deal with.

I've found my flintlock to be more reliable than the caplocks I've had once I learned propped care and feeding,,,, I've heard others say the same. Also easier to deal with when they don't go bang.
gadzooks.jpg

This thread isn't about serious points. There are far too many of those on this board. Lighten up a bit and have some more coffee.
You are the one who needs to lighten up. Did you ever stop to consider that not all jabs are serious?
No, you didn't, as usual you'd rather cry.
Like I'm the only one in this thread to bring these things up.

Thank you for your previous application to the Lead Box Society, it has been reviewed and carefully considered. You will be glad to know that you have been accepted at this time.

Brokennock, I’m here to tell you that I have fired my Matchlock in rain, snow, and wind that my flintlocks just wouldn’t handle. Every Matchlock misfire I’ve ever had has been 100% my fault. And with 3 moving parts (none of which are strictly necessary to the gun’s operation), there’s less to go wrong with a Matchlock than any other gun. You could literally remove the lock and still get her to fire every time you try. That said, my first and purest love will always be a Brown Bess. ❤️
You never forget your first.
Jay

Brokennock, I’m here to tell you that I have fired my Matchlock in rain, snow, and wind that my flintlocks just wouldn’t handle. Every Matchlock misfire I’ve ever had has been 100% my fault. And with 3 moving parts (none of which are strictly necessary to the gun’s operation), there’s less to go wrong with a Matchlock than any other gun. You could literally remove the lock and still get her to fire every time you try. That said, my first and purest love will always be a Brown Bess. ❤️
You never forget your first.
Jay
Thank you. Interesting to note.
That question was meant as a serious inquiry, not as a slight. I admit I know basically nothing about lock mechanisms pre flintlock.

Thank you. Interesting to note.
That question was meant as a serious inquiry, not as a slight. I admit I know basically nothing about lock mechanisms pre flintlock.
I figured it was a serious question.
The first time I did a matchlock demo for the public back in 2003, I’d only fired one a few times, but had 15 years of shooting flintlocks under my belt. It was raining pretty good, and my boss said “time to go do your demo!” I assumed she was yanking the new guy’s chain and laughed. She assured me that she was serious and sent me out. I literally had water pour off my hat into the priming pan when I started loading, but I blew out and wiped out the pan, primed, loaded, and BANG! I was so surprised I almost dropped it!

Visitors showed up, we talked in the rain for a few minutes, then I reloaded and fired again with no problem, no hangfire, nothing. Made a believer out of me that day! Since then, I’ve done thousands more demos with match and flint guns, and fired thousands more live rounds from both. Matchlock is very, very reliable. And you get used to the burns. 😉
Jay

Latest posts

Back