• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Safety Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ Treml

32 Cal
Reaction score
I was curious how people carry a percussion cap rifle while hunting. With my flintlocks I carry at half cock while stalking or sitting. Is it safe to put a cap on your nipple and carry it that way while hunting? If I have a cap on the nipple and the hammer is at half cock then I think the nipple may fall off. If I let the hammer rest on the nipple then I'm afraid that if I bump the gun it could go off. Thanks for any comments / advise.

Proper nipple and correct prime, typically #11 for rifles, and it will stay when seated.

When I hunted using a percussion SxS I also used tight fitting caps and used half cock. But I was always aware of where the barrles were pointed. Sort of a trust but verify approach.

Jeff

I too carry capped and at half cock. I un-cap the gun if crossing a fence, jumping a creek etc. Using a capped percussion or primed flint requires extra attention to safety and others who may be with you.

You can put a thick leather patch over the nipple that contacts the half-cock hammer. Cushions the nipple against accidental ignition and keeps it in place also. Attach the patch to the trigger guard with a short leather lace. Much like a hammer stall on a flintlock.

I also carry it capped and at half cock position. The newer Treso nipple I'm using results in a cci cap being a bit loose on it when the nipple is still clean, so I rub a bit of bee's wax on the sides of the nipple and then pinch the cap a bit. Never lost one this whole hunting season with that method.

Depending on the nipple..., I've seen a .22 LR shell casing placed over the tip of the nipple when it was capped. I've also seen a shell casing from a .38 special cartridge used and it rested on the barrel around the base of the entire nipple...

Now the hammer was lowered onto either to hold it in place. This will protect the cap from being accidentally struck …, and would prevent a dropped gun if it landed on the hammer from breaking half-cock and striking the cap. There was a similar device used in the ACW for just that purpose on rifled muskets.

LD

I am in the leather cover crowd. I have a piece of leather tethered with a deer hide lace to the trigger guard. When needed. just cock the gun and let the leather fall to the side out of the way. That keeps the cap in place and cushions it from the hammer. I tried capping the (unloaded) gun and dropping the hammer multiple times on the leather covered nipple and never got it to go bang.

I am in the leather cover crowd. I have a piece of leather tethered with a deer hide lace to the trigger guard. When needed. just cock the gun and let the leather fall to the side out of the way. That keeps the cap in place and cushions it from the hammer. I tried capping the (unloaded) gun and dropping the hammer multiple times on the leather covered nipple and never got it to go bang.

I'm going to join the piece of leather camp.

While hunting with a caplock I have used a 'Kap Kover'. The ‘Kover’ seals on an o-ring that is installed on a modified Hotshot nipple (included). It will keep the nipple dry with no cap on the nipple, plus will keep the hammer from striking the cap if it comes off of half cock. Picked some of these ‘kits’ up a while back for $5 a piece off EBay.
upload_2020-2-4_17-11-22.jpeg

I also use a frizzen stall when hunting with flintlocks.

While hunting with a caplock I have used a 'Kap Kover'. The ‘Kover’ seals on an o-ring that is installed on a modified Hotshot nipple (included). It will keep the nipple dry with no cap on the nipple, plus will keep the hammer from striking the cap if it comes off of half cock. Picked some of these ‘kits’ up a while back for $5 a piece off EBay. View attachment 23526
I also use a frizzen stall when hunting with flintlocks.

That's what I use

Back