• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rustic Arms Builder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So true. I posted what I did so the OP can see how big a pile Terry is and maybe do what I did and call the Sheriff Office and report him for a scam. That was the only thing that got his attention with me.

poordevil said:
... and maybe do what I did and call the Sheriff Office and report him for a scam ...

and post about the experience on all the ml boards.

karma can be such a bee-atch. :nono:

I remember folks complaining about this particular builder back in the mid 2000's. I'm actually surprised he's still getting orders. I'd be willing to bet an archive search of this forum would turn up some pretty old threads very similar to this one.

Folks, be careful what you say on the internet. Defamation of character is serious. Remember, “The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.” If you have a bad experience with a business, there is a right way to review them to others, but name calling is probably not it.

As I mentioned before, I did business with this guy and the end result was fine- though it took longer than I would have liked. Their website stated clearly that delivery dates were ESTIMATES (a bad estimate is still an estimate, no matter how irritating). I never signed a contract stating that delivery must be made within one year even though I had hopes that it would happen within that timeframe.

If any of you have ever made anything for sale as a one-man operation you know that the difficulty in predicting delivery of goods is compounded by a multitude of personal reasons. When I had a commission in to this guy, I bugged the heck out of him and he was probably trying to keep his head above water making less than a minimum wage profit on my build. Again, if you have a bad experience with a business (especially a one-man shop), by all means give them a poor review- but don’t defame their character. For one, you can’t be certain that your experience was a result of poor character- it may very well have been personal circumstances (especially in small businesses) or just plain bad business. Even bad business is not grounds for libel or speculating wrong doing on a public forum.

Not telling someone the truth is, to me, a sigh of bad character. Telling someone a lie, knowing it is a lie, is also, to me, a sign of bad character.

You don't take someone's money with promises you can not deliver on, then wo-is-me after the fact.

If anyone here is considering a new gun build, my opinion only (but earned through experience) is do not use Early Rustic Arms and go with another builder.

I ordered from Terry March 2010. Had a 12-16 month estimated delivery time. I got my rifle March 2012. Just 7 days shy of two years. It took a little longer than expected. I called Terry 4-5 times over the two years. He always called me back within a week.

The gun has been flawless. Put 80 grain of FF, .015 patch, ,490 Hornady ball. Pulled the rigger and the shot was dead on. Took me 40 rounds to get a good feel for it. But the gun is perfect. Got my first deer with it in December.

I realize Terry has had some issues. I wouldn't have an issue ordering another gun from him. However, I would not expect to see that gun for 24-30 months. If it came sooner, it would be a bonus.

The Bucks County Long rifle on EAR's site is my gun. Terry used my gun as his web site picture

You are an attorney? Giving legal advice on the circumstances of Rustic Arms and complaints about its service? Just tweaking your nose a bit because I can and I resent "legal advice" from folks not qualified to render same.

I must have missed it??
I didn't see any legal advice given by jbwilliams. :confused:

Even if he did, IMO one does not have to be an attorney to have an opinion on what the laws say.

As for whether one accepts the opinion or advice given, that is left solely up to them.

Every day on this forum there are hundreds of opinions given. Some are right and some are wrong but the forum is here so they can put their thoughts out in front of people so they can decide which is best. :)

Ok, I'll take my lumps for my post. "Defamation of character" insinuation is strong language, IMHO. My apologies to JB and the forum members. baxter

It might be the the time to gather up or copy all your emails and mailings and consult your local Sheriff,Police Chief and Post Master. Communicate this intent to the builder and I'll bet you'll get a response. If not proceed.

It’s a very good gun, the architecture is far better than what I have seen from TVM and other guns in the same price range.

Other than TVM, a real business that specializes in guns of that price range, guns and builders of that price range should be avoided. It's simply "pot luck". I've been there done that. The best you will get is a reenactor grade ten footer.

For someone wanting an authentic custom gun the best option is to buy used or add a little more dough and use a real custom builder. That way you'll get a real historic gun not some phantom 10 footer.
Another option is building one yourself but the investment in tools time and learning curve cancels out any savings vs a custom gun.

It's a shame you have to get nasty and threaten these folks. Hey I'm the type of guy that understands, just let know. If it takes longer than quoted just let me know. No return calls, emails ect make me think I've been swindled out of a month's pay. I'll not put up with that, there's no excuse but that's what you run into with builders who promise a 18th century gun in the $700 to $1500 range. Double that money and you can get the real thing from a reputable builder without all the BS.

Back