• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rust bluing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my high-tech tank - a piece of galvanized fence post with an end cap sealed with high temp silicone gasket material and duct tape. Pour in boiling distilled water and heat with a propane torch to keep it boiling. Works really well.

Attachments

• IMG_0703a.JPG
    IMG_0703a.JPG
    313.3 KB · Views: 0
You can get a nice blue with various browning solutions, depends on the process you use while doing it which color you get. Boiling the parts in distilled water converts any iron oxide into ferric oxide (converts/kills the active rust), then card to get that nice deep blue. Either way you need rust to begin with to get what you want.
Hot dip bluing is another option but that's expensive especially for a one-time project.

Check out Mark Novacs channel on YouTube. He has vids explaining and showing the process for bluing.

Also, the nastier your water is the better the process works. Like find a bunch of old rusty junk and boil to make the water red in color before doing you parts.

I used rain gutter and my turkey fryer burner. Saved my water from my dehumidifier for boiling. I've tried a couple different bluing solutions which include Laurel Mountain Forge, Rust Blue and Mark Lee's fast blue. The Mark Lee's product is hands down the easiest to use and gives a beautiful deep blue finish.

On the rain gutter- how to you handle the ends to keep the water from leaking out? Solder? I have a shotgun barrel I might want to rust blue.

Several threads in building section of this forum have suggested using guttering.
Had a friend in my reenacting group who was a gun builder. He pickled the barrel of my longrifle. Pickling is not rust blue, but rather a good way to make a barrel look like it's at least 20 or 30-years ols. He used a gutter long enough for my rifle barrel and made a custom burner that went the entire length of the gutter. Then we filled the gutter with a 50/50 solution of bleach and water and lit it up. He learned this method from Hershel House. I had removed the factory bluing with rust and bluing remover (surprisingly easy); sealed the barrel with a wooden plug that had a hook coming out the end. The wrapped a bolt that was the same size and had the same threads as the touch-hole liner, with teflon tape to ensure a watertight seal. I then de-greased the barrel with rubbing alcohol.

We got that poisonous concoction boiling in his well-ventilated barn. When we had a good even boil with small bubbles in it. We picked the barrel up by the vent-hole bolt and the hook in the muzzle plug using some bent Haywire to cradle them, and put it into the boiling concoction. In just a minute or so, the whole concoction turned red because it instantly rusted the barrel. Half-way through we pulled it out of the boil and turned it end for end so we got little rust balls evenly throughout the barrel.

When we took it out, it looked like the barrel was ruined. It had thousands for tiny red rust balls all over the barrel. We let it dry for a while and then pulled out the plugs and took it to the bench grinder. Used a wire wheel on it to knock all the rust balls off and took the rust off most of the way. We didn't want a shiny pickled barrel because that would spoil the aged appearance of it. So we knocked it down until it just looked old and used and then oiled it well.

I don't really use this Longrifle anymore, but I'll have to pull it out of the close and get a shot of the barrel. After all that description of what we did, the whole point was that the gutter worked really well as long as you had a lot of butane flames spaced evenly across the entire length of a barrel. So just get some guttering, cut it to size if needed; replace the ends; and boil away. By the way a copper pipe with holes drilled evenly spaced along the top works well for a custom burner..

I steamed my barrels using a coleman burner, a pot of water with a cover with a hole cut in the top. I stood a length of pvc pipe over the hole with barrel suspended inside.
I'm with John on this one...

Steam barrels after browning with Laurel Mountain and then card with a proper carding wheel from Brownell, or use wet 0000 wire wool. Only takes 20 mins or so..

rinse & repeat!

I'm with John on this one...

Steam barrels after browning with Laurel Mountain and then card with a proper carding wheel from Brownell, or use wet 0000 wire wool. Only takes 20 mins or so..

rinse & repeat!
I apply the LMF then hang the barrel in a steamy hot bathroom. Gets a nice crust on it. Then wipe it down with a piece of old denim. I usually do this about 6 times. Then rinse the barrel in hot water and wipe with denim. I then heat the barrel with a torch to get any water or LMF out and coat with non detergent motor oil. Inlet it sit with oil on it for a couple days. Then wipe off the oil and cost with a rust preventative oil to help kill the rusting process.

I apply the LMF then hang the barrel in a steamy hot bathroom. Gets a nice crust on it. Then wipe it down with a piece of old denim. I usually do this about 6 times. Then rinse the barrel in hot water and wipe with denim. I then heat the barrel with a torch to get any water or LMF out and coat with non detergent motor oil. Inlet it sit with oil on it for a couple days. Then wipe off the oil and cost with a rust preventative oil to help kill the rusting process.
Yep, that would be my browning regime as well. I usually use 0000 wet wire wool on the second or third pass to flatten the finish.. it looks like you have removed all the brown, but with a few more passes the brown comes back, but more even than before..

If however you are looking for a black finish, 20 mins in the steam pipe will turn all the brown to black.

I often give a browned or rust blue barrel a coat of boiled linseed oil to fill the pores after the initial soak in motor oil. It gives a better finish than plain oil, particularly on Damascus barrels.

Latest posts

Back