• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bluing and browning recipe Q (Angier book)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip Chua

32 Cal
Reaction score
Howdy all,

I have been pouring over Angier’s book and have a few different bluing and browning solutions that I want to try and I’ve been able to source quite a few chemicals. I am not using any Mercury compounds.
One compound is Spirit of Nitre which is a 3-5% ethyl nitrite - 95% ethanol solution. Ethyl nitrite is sort of banned. Buuut - there is a 5% nitric acid - 95% ethanol etchant called Nital. That nitric acid and ethanol will have produced ethyl nitrite in the container and it’s an etchant which is probably why it’s used in bluing solution. It’s not a huge part of most of the mixed but I’m gonna get 250cc of the Nital and try it with a few of the mixes. I’m going to test it on mild steel strips and probably on a CVA barrel that’s basically scrap. I’m going to strip it, blue it, strip it etc..

Anyway! Anyone ever use Nital in a bluing/browning mix? Anyone ever blow their barn up mixing then distilling nitric acid and ethanol 😂.

I don’t know if I have used that but back in my youth I bought chemicals and mixed up a few nasty concoctions for bluing or browning. For the cost a fellow can buy several good rust bluing products and then experiment on applying them. Each has their merits and can be bought in small quantities rather than the pints or quarts of hazardous acid then figuring out what to do with the leftovers.
But experimenting was a fun part of the learning curve. :)

I’m afraid buying that kind of stuff may end you on a government watchlist.
lol I make my own propellant and percussion caps so if there’s a list I’m certain I’m already on it. Add to that I have a bit of tint and racially ambiguous (half Filipino) so post 9/11 I had lots of “random” step outs at airport security. Why I travel clean shaven these days 😂.

Latest posts

Back