• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rum Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanscamaro

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Okay, it is newbie back wanting to build a rum (or beverage of my choice since I'm not a rum drinker) horn from a mis-drilled horn left after past adventures. My question is in regards to cleaning out and "sealing" the inside of the horn. I have pretty well smoothed out the inside, but would like to know if anything more is done to disinfect (?) the inside (maybe that's really not the right word to use). Also, I have read in some past post about sealing the inside with wax, but was unsure just how that was accomplished. Any advice? I searched this forum and couldn't find the topic, so if someone can guide me to a past discussion about this, I would appreciate that.
:idunno: :v :grin:

This is exactly how I sealed my new Rum Horn.

Mark B

20480_1353260517517_1411543399_30981642_8369809_n.jpg

Thanks for that comeback. I assume then that you put the end plugs in, warm the horn, pour it in, rotate the horn all around to coat the inside, then pour the remainder of the pitch out? Any recommendations on a good cleaning method for the inside? SORRY, I didn't see that the web address was for a video.....let me take some time to watch it.
:idunno: :v :redface:

Okay, that answered the questions I had about coating the inside. Do you do anything to sanitize before coating?
:idunno:

I washed the horn before i put the ends on permanently.

After the pitch dried, i sanitized it with cheap whiskey, drank that, then filled with Mr. Beams best. :grin:

If you are absolutely unsure how clean the horn is on the inside, pour a 50/50 mix of water and bleach into the horn, swish it around, and pour it out. Then, rinse the bleach out with clean water, several times. The Bleach will kill anything that might harm you. Let the horn dry until the odor of bleach is no longer present.

Then if you want to seal the rum horn, use the James Townsend supplied Brewer's Pitch, as show in the clip. Wait until both ends of the horn are " plugged", so that the pitch also seals the seams of the horn/plugs, and covers the wood used for the plugs, too. It may not be the same as pouring whiskey( rum) into a glass bottle, but the brewer's pitch will not dissolve easily in alcohol, if that is your beverage of choice.

( I make a mean, "Non-Alcoholic" Glogg, to which my friends are welcome to add their particular favorite brand of booze!)

Okay, how many times did you pour in cheap whiskey and wash it out into your mouth to make sure it was okay......also, with cheap whiskey, how are you to know if it was okay? I do love single-malt scotch and I dont want to mess that up with a bad tasting rum horn.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Thanks for all the input. I will proceed.

deano said:
Okay, how many times did you pour in cheap whiskey and wash it out into your mouth to make sure it was okay......also, with cheap whiskey, how are you to know if it was okay?

I think it was just one time...things kinda got blurry there after :idunno:

For yer second ? I woke up the next morning still alive :rotf:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have mostly finished the rum horn that was the center of this post. I still need to seal the inside, and will do that as soon as I have my brewers pitch.

The horn was squeaky cleaned on the inside, mesquite butt plugs formed for both ends (using trimmings from a huge tree in my front yard, cut two years ago), including a raised spout cone. Desert ironwood was used for the end-hole plug and wooden retainer pegs into the butt plugs. I call it my "water bottle influence" on an old design, where it hangs vertical instead of horizontal, keeping the plug up to avoid, God forbid, the plug falling out and my liquid of choice draining into the forest floor. :rotf:

RumHorn.jpg

It was finished using a combination of Tandy Fudge Brown leather stain and some Briwax (combo of cleaner/stain/polish) I found on my shelf, left from finishing pens on my lathe years ago. I started with the former and finished with a coating of the latter.

Back