• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruger Old Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajgall

40 Cal
Reaction score
I’ve seen many posts here about the old army, and from the limited shooting I’ve done with them they seem like great pistols, but why are they ok on this forum since they are a modern design?

I’m honestly just curious not trying to stir the pot.

Lots of those exceptions allowed. Look at all the Thompson center/investarms/Pedersoli rifles that are popular on here. For sure they are a modern design but they are modern interpretations of the 1800s models. The same is true for the old army.

I figured it was something along those lines. After I typed the question I remembered all the Traditions, CVA and such and actually felt a little silly for asking.

I’m surprised also. No part of it beyond the percussion cap and function is linked to any single action percussion revolver of the pre 1873 era. To me it’s like saying OK we accept the early Colts Mason revolvers also. Or do we. ?

They are VERY nice - I've had mine since 1986 - but that's the stainless model with adjustable sights. For the purists, and by that I mean the NMLA of USA, maybe the other two major competition groups like the MLAGB and MLAIC, it does not fit the competition rules, which preclude the use of coil springs and adjustable sights. IOW, they are just too modern.

There are, however, blued versions with original-style fixed sights, but even so, they retain those 'terble' coil springs. Perhaps members of the N-SSA might care to comment, but as previously-noted, they are an amalgam of a lot of designs, recently detailed on this very forum.

Built like a tank revolvers at any rate. Right up there with their big brother the Black….Ks. Another modern innovation. Stainless Steel, satin or polished.

Built like a tank revolvers at any rate. Right up there with their big brother the Black….Ks. Another modern innovation. Stainless Steel, satin or polished.

Spares backup, however, is virtually non-existent. Here in UK, where the pistol has been HUGELY popular since the loss - on the mainland- of our cartridge-firing handguns, we have to rely on e*** for bits, particularly the only really vulnerable component in the whole gun - the cylinder axis pin.

Spares backup, however, is virtually non-existent. Here in UK, where the pistol has been HUGELY popular since the loss - on the mainland- of our cartridge-firing handguns, we have to rely on e*** for bits, particularly the only really vulnerable component in the whole gun - the cylinder axis pin.
Axis (Base) pin.
Ask me how I know what can happen if one forgets to insure the cross pin is in the correct position. Base Pins is available from Belt Moutain. I have three of the stainless amd one blued model. Somewhere in the past someone messed with the blued ones trigger and hammer. It has a trigger pull measured in ounces. I don’t shoot it much because of that.

I’ve seen many posts here about the old army, and from the limited shooting I’ve done with them they seem like great pistols, but why are they ok on this forum since they are a modern design?

I’m honestly just curious not trying to stir the pot.
Well, they are true percussion pistols; Cap-n-Ball, black powder. The modern steels and design don't cancel out the true Black Powder nature of them.

I’ve owned two of them... first one was blued and it was the last year they were made.. had to sell it in 1994.
The next one is stainless, truthfully I didn’t want it because of the stainless. It was an old man who had bought it new... 1975. The minute I heard that I wanted it . In it original box and had been shot only once a full 6 rounds I got it for $500.00. The’re was a man in the booth next to the old guy and he exploded... He said he had offered $600.00 and the old man turned him down saying... you were going to turn around and sell it for more and this guy (me) wanted it to use not to get money so I sold it to him... I felt really great !🤗🇺🇸❤️

I’ve owned two of them... first one was blued and it was the last year they were made.. had to sell it in 1994.
The next one is stainless, truthfully I didn’t want it because of the stainless. It was an old man who had bought it new... 1975. The minute I heard that I wanted it . In it original box and had been shot only once a full 6 rounds I got it for $500.00. The’re was a man in the booth next to the old guy and he exploded... He said he had offered $600.00 and the old man turned him down saying... you were going to turn around and sell it for more and this guy (me) wanted it to use not to get money so I sold it to him... I felt really great !🤗🇺🇸❤️

So you bought it in 2008 but sold it in 1994? Wow!!!! Where's your time machine?!!! Lol!!!

Mike

Here’s mine:

F9749D44-1E26-4254-93CA-7D0582E90198.jpeg

I kinda thought front stuffer was about the only un-bendable rule ..and maybe inlines?? ..without replicas us po-boys who cannot put $2000 in a clunker original Colt or $3000 in a field ready original Enfield would be out of business ..and so would this forum I dare say......You may say which original does the ROA replicate ..then the next man says which Colt does the Pietta/Uberti 1851 replicate (Yes ..neither are exact replicas ....so use a broad brush ..let common sense prevail and lets just make some smoke !!!!!

:doh:

Bear

First the ROA ,while not an exact replica, was made to closely resemble revolvers of
the Cowboy era. Lay one down alongside a Rem NMA and you can see the similarity.
They have a period correct loading and ignition system. Bill Ruger said that he patterned the
Ruger Old Army from the Remington Bisley---some say Spiller and Burr was closer.
Also, how can we call it modern when it came out 60 years ago? It is a vintage cap and ball
at the minimum. Certain variations mimic the Rem NMA closer. In some of my earlier posts
I posted a photo of a Rem stainless NMA alongside a ROA stainless. It tells it all. I no longer
own the ROA, but will try to re-post the photo for illustration.

I figured it was something along those lines. After I typed the question I remembered all the Traditions, CVA and such and actually felt a little silly for asking.
Yes, it's all about the loading, ignition, and powder used, not "is it a copy of something'? The ROA is a full-blown blackpowder, front-loading, percussion revolver, and well within our guidelines.

Back