• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Royal Navy Sea Service Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know some guys don’t like re soling a frizzen, but with unknown steel you are better off doing it. And it’s historically correct! And it’s THE way to go with India flintlocks.

I know some guys don’t like re soling a frizzen, but with unknown steel you are better off doing it. And it’s historically correct! And it’s THE way to go with India flintlocks.

Unknown steel is a good way to describe it. Resoling is a great way to put sparking life into a frizzen. I’ve done it on many older miroku’s too that were worn out.

It’s absolutely authentic too, i have two original locks with resoled frizzens.

You guys .... :mad: .... you've got me salivating for (yet another) flintlock pistol .... argh!!!
That belt hook just does it for me!!!

6D91D168-E822-429C-B40D-54F75788D022.jpeg

I just built what looks just like the kit version of this. I purchased it from TOW for $199 for a complete kit incl the lock and belt hook. (crazy low price). It is much larger than I expected (much larger than the Pedersoli Kentucky pistol kit). It’s 19” long just like yours with a 12” .62 cal bore. I did have to tune the lock and resole the frizzen (easily done and new skill). I did make and soldered on a front sight. My plan is to build a case for it next. It is an absolute blast to shoot! I luv this pistol!!! Should have bought two of them before they sold out. Congrats on your new pistol! I suspect you’re going to love it!

Once they ran out of the complete kit, they started selling them without the stock but alas have sold out of those as well.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/608/1
View attachment 272786

View attachment 272787
View attachment 272789
nice looking pistols

WOW Swab !!!! That's a beauty. The ultimate "pirate" pistol. Is there an update on this pistol from your older Thread ?

Rick
It's packed in the car for rendezvous. All I need to do is grey the lock and put it out for display. I already test fired it, a bit more of a bang than the boom I was expecting. Regarding an update on the previous thread due to what I consider harassment I have let it lie for awhile.

It's packed in the car for rendezvous. All I need to do is grey the lock and put it out for display. I already test fired it, a bit more of a bang than the boom I was expecting. Regarding an update on the previous thread due to what I consider harassment I have let it lie for awhile.
OK. But promise when you return you'll post a new Thread. LOL

Rick

I expect I'll have to resole the frizzen on my India-made sea service pistol sooner or later. There are websites that talk about how to do that, but I thought I'd ask you guys first: do you know of any recommended sites / videos about how to do it?

Also, I suspect that even though I have a workshop with a drill press, vice and other things, I probably don't have the equipment and experience needed to do it, so any advice on equipment (e.g., what sort of torch) and capabilities needed would be appreciated.

Oooops - I don't allow "vice" in my workshop, but I do have a vise :)

I expect I'll have to resole the frizzen on my India-made sea service pistol sooner or later. There are websites that talk about how to do that, but I thought I'd ask you guys first: do you know of any recommended sites / videos about how to do it?

Also, I suspect that even though I have a workshop with a drill press, vice and other things, I probably don't have the equipment and experience needed to do it, so any advice on equipment (e.g., what sort of torch) and capabilities needed would be appreciated.

There’s a few ways.

Riveting, you can braze it or hard solder it on.

Some excellent smiths dove tail them on

I TIG weld mine with tack welds. I leave the seems open for authenticity

Search under LRB and dave_person on the forum, they have some of the best resoleing methods.

Sometimes case hardening works but not knowing the steel type makes it tricky.

Last edited:

Easiest is to mail it to veteran arms and have them guarantee it for life. Oxygen acetylene torch, cherry red, pliers, water, and 5-10 min is all you need.

Back