• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Royal Navy Sea Service Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, looks like great fun!
okay pattern with #6's......

20230215_191608.jpg

I just built what looks just like the kit version of this. I purchased it from TOW for $199 for a complete kit incl the lock and belt hook. (crazy low price). It is much larger than I expected (much larger than the Pedersoli Kentucky pistol kit). It’s 19” long just like yours with a 12” .62 cal bore. I did have to tune the lock and resole the frizzen (easily done and new skill). I did make and soldered on a front sight. My plan is to build a case for it next. It is an absolute blast to shoot! I luv this pistol!!! Should have bought two of them before they sold out. Congrats on your new pistol! I suspect you’re going to love it!

Once they ran out of the complete kit, they started selling them without the stock but alas have sold out of those as well.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/608/1
View attachment 272786

View attachment 272787
View attachment 272789

The upper one looks exactly like what I bought. Which reminds me: check how firmly the rammer rod is attached to the sort of cone-shaped brass piece at the end. Mine came apart with no effort, because the epoxy they used didn't bond with the smooth inside of the hole in the brass piece. Should be an easy fix - I'll just rough-up/scratch the inside of the hole and re-epoxy it.

check how firmly the rammer rod is attached to the sort of cone-shaped brass piece at the end. Mine came apart with no effort, because the epoxy they used didn't bond with the smooth inside of the hole in the brass piece.
The ram rod in my kit came with the tip already assembled/epoxied a came apart as well. I re-epoxied and (properly pinned it) which I recommend. You don’t want that coming off and stuck in the bottom of the barrel! Have a blast with your new pistol!

Compressorguy - where did you get the stock for your kit build?

I am interested in buying a Royal Navy Sea Service flintlock pistol with the 9" barrel. I was looking at Access Heritage, however research on the forum suggests that that company may not be the company to go through due to quality and shipping information. Does anybody here know where else I might be able to locate or track down a pistol such as that with better quality and/or shipping and service? Thank you in advance! Pistol in question here

Not many options for these out there other than loyalist arms or veteran arms.

Muzzleloader builder supply has a good selection of parts, in particular stock and barrel for the more advanced projects.

The miroku tower pistols are often sold on auction for under 100 bucks, however they’re not very faithful copies.

The last option is an original, these often sell in auction for under 1,000 dollars and are able to be shot. One sold on auction a few months ago for 890 bucks at rock island, was in excellent shape too.

Last edited:
Compressorguy - where did you get the stock for your kit build?
When I bought my kit from TOW it came complete with stock for $199. I guess they ran out of complete kits pretty quickly and then offered them for $115 (less the stock) and have since run out of those. The $199 complete kit was an amazing deal!

Otherwise my choice was going to be saving up for the MBS kit for @ $700! which I’m sure is much higher quality (more accurate?) kit but I’m COMPLETELY happy with the India made TOW kit! They are a blast to shoot! Should have bought 2 at that price!
IMG_6647.jpeg

Last edited:
When I bought my kit from TOW it came complete with stock for $199. I guess they ran out of complete kits pretty quickly and then offered them for $115 (less the stock) and have since run out of those. The $199 complete kit was an amazing deal!

Otherwise my choice was going to be saving up for the MBS kit for @ $700! which I’m sure is much higher quality (accurate) kit but I’m COMPLETELY happy with the India made TOW kit! They are a blast to shoot! Should have bought 2 at that price!
View attachment 283092

Did you sole the frizzen ?

I did. I ground back the frizzen face and riveted a thin piece of 1095 steel to it. Works perfectly now.
View attachment 283094
View attachment 283097

Excellent choice !

I havent worked on an Indian made gun in awhile, when i was carburizing the frizzens was very temporary, and deep case hardening wasn’t much better, the steel that is used is some kind of high alloy steel that doesn’t absorb carbon too well, a friend of mine from India that works in steel manufacturing said they often used recycled steels in many shops, and end up calling it a high carbon steel. So i ended up resoling many with a 1095 shim and tack welded them on, worked perfectly and never saw them again after that.

Great work !

You’ve got a great handle on things ! On to the next project

Last edited:
If you correctly harden a frizzen on an Indian piece it will last for thousands of shots over many years. If it was "very temporary" as nick claims then companies like loyalist and veteran would never be able to stand behind their hardening warranty. Just imagine 1000+ guns every year with frizzens that constantly need rehardening. They couldn't keep up and word would spread like wildfire. Common sense shows that done correctly hardening with compound is very effective.

Back