• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rowntree Patent Restorations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just finish restoring a couple of Rowntree patents with his improved back action locks and the grip safety , these would be about 1840 -45 . It was not only James who built these but also his son William , father James was a patent gun maker and sold most of his patents to top London gun makers it must also be noted that James built the first sxs percussion shotgun for percussion caps ,these were made of iron and could be refilled to use again , this gun was built for Joshua Shaw who emigrated to America in 1817 aboard the ship [Electra}

100_4376.JPG

The restoration was mostly cosmetic to remove grime etc but not the patina , these were fitted into a double oak case which was also restored but not taken to far with a small amount of accessory's
100_4361.JPG

100_4363.JPG

100_4372.JPG

100_4375.JPG

Feltwad

Last edited:
Very cool. This is definitely your wheelhouse.
Pardon my ignorance please, I have a couple curiosity questions.
So, I believe I am looking at one case, that has two layers. A bottom layer that houses 2 sets of SxS barrels, some flasks, and wads and such. And a top layer created by a tray (for lake of a better term) that holds 2 sets of stocks/relievers and what appears to be some cleaning equipment and loading/cleaning rods. Is this correct?
Why a pair of shotguns? I can understand why dealing pistols came in pairs, but field shotguns, I'm not so sure. Are the sets of barrels choked? If so, choked differently? Are there loading rods that mount under the barrels or just the thick wooden rods seen in the top level of the case?

The English often shot driven game so they didn’t walk around but had people push the game to them. Two guns could be handy and with a loader standing by to keep you shooting was considered sport.
Yes and I believe there was sometime three gun and two fellers loading.
It still goes on today.
This video gives you an idea with a breechloader.
It would of been far more choreographed for muzzeloaders.
Feltwad maybe sheltering from storm Arwen right now.

Very cool. This is definitely your wheelhouse.
Pardon my ignorance please, I have a couple curiosity questions.
So, I believe I am looking at one case, that has two layers. A bottom layer that houses 2 sets of SxS barrels, some flasks, and wads and such. And a top layer created by a tray (for lake of a better term) that holds 2 sets of stocks/relievers and what appears to be some cleaning equipment and loading/cleaning rods. Is this correct?
Why a pair of shotguns? I can understand why dealing pistols came in pairs, but field shotguns, I'm not so sure. Are the sets of barrels choked? If so, choked differently? Are there loading rods that mount under the barrels or just the thick wooden rods seen in the top level of the case?
You will find that most pairs of English guns would have a box like this one and made of walnut or oak was the common The bottom mostly housed the stocks and cleaning rods and if the guns have no ramrods then a cleaning come loading rod the top lift out or draw have the barrels plus accessory's powder and shot flasks , a tin of percussion caps , wads and oil bottle
Most of these pairs of guns were made by top London gun makers and were numbered 1 and 2 and mostly used on driven days with a loader the guns would also have a serial number that followed each other on some cases these gun serial numbers were stamped inside the wood gun case. 12 gauge was the most common with 14 a close second with ramrods choke was little known in those days and barrel bores were true cylinder .It must be remembered on some of these drives a great number of shots were fired and on the grouse moors a pony carrying pannier baskets was used to carry extra shot and powder and also the dead game.
Feltwad
100_1276.JPG

Last edited:
You will find that most pairs of English guns would have a box like this one and made of walnut or oak was the common The bottom mostly housed the stocks and cleaning rods and if the guns have no ramrods then a cleaning come loading rod the top lift out or draw have the barrels plus accessory's powder and shot flasks , a tin of percussion caps , wads and oil bottle
Most of these pairs of guns were made by top London gun makers and were numbered 1 and 2 and mostly used on driven days with a loader the guns would also have a serial number that followed each other on some cases these gun serial numbers were stamped inside the wood gun case. 12 gauge was the most common with 14 a close second with ramrods choke was little known in those days and barrel bores were true cylinder .It must be remembered on some of these drives a great number of shots were fired and on the grouse moors a pony carrying pannier baskets was used to carry extra shot and powder and also the dead game.
FeltwadView attachment 106624
Thank you.

I'm not sure which I like better, the grain pattern of the lighter colored stock or the mellowness of the darker one. Either way,,, great stuff.

What are the barrel lengths? Were different lengths purchased for different types of shoots? Something longer or shorter for tower shoots compared to driven shoots, compared to walking up birds over a dog, either pointer or flusher?

Thank you.

I'm not sure which I like better, the grain pattern of the lighter colored stock or the mellowness of the darker one. Either way,,, great stuff.

What are the barrel lengths? Were different lengths purchased for different types of shoots? Something longer or shorter for tower shoots compared to driven shoots, compared to walking up birds over a dog, either pointer or flusher?
You will find that the most popular sxs barrel length is 30 inches which cover most types of shooting .There are also small and longer lengths for some types of game shooting for covert shooting they are usual 27 -28 inches and in bore size of 14-20 ,on the fowling side for a 12 they can be 36 inches but for the larger bores they can be longer ,this also applies to live pigeon or trap guns which can 30 -36 inches with some has short has 26 inches
Feltwad
Covert Gun
100_3053.JPG

Rowntree Pigeon Trap Gun with a 6 bore short barrel
100_1662.JPG

Last edited:
I just read an interesting book on English guns and hunting in the 19th century. The Earl of Grey used 4 muzzle-loading guns, I believe Purdey's, with 4 loaders, and wanted his guns passed to him with the hammers back. He was noted for killing 2 birds coming in, swapping guns and taking 2 more as they left. He still holds the records for most driven game taken, his father is 2nd on the list.

Yes and I believe there was sometime three gun and two fellers loading.
It still goes on today.
This video gives you an idea with a breechloader.
It would of been far more choreographed for muzzeloaders.
Feltwad maybe sheltering from storm Arwen right now.

Is the 1st loader Jim Fowler? You know, the guy from Wild Kingdom who always had to approach the lion or other dangerous animal while Marlin Perkins waited safely in a tree,,,, lol.

Interesting video with the shooter wrapping his hands around the barrels.
I shoot my 20 gauge SxS the same way when skeet shooting. It is a light gun and holding it that way let's me "drive" the barrels by both having my hand out further on the gun (like modern "adaptive carbine" technique") and by giving me more power to keep those light barrels moving. My long barreled over under doesn't need to be exaggerated as much as once those barrels are moving, they keep moving.

Another two patents by Rowntree first a early percussion centre fire centre showing the design hammer nose and the second showning a early back action lock for a patch lock gun with a detachable hammer nose of 1815-20
Feltwad
100_3401.JPG

100_3403.JPG

P1010003.JPG

Back