• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Roundball and bullet lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real question is does patch lube make a difference in accuracy? With so many different people using different lubes my guess is NO. Am I correct ?

I'm very new but from my experience reading for a few months I would say no. Otherwise people would be making such claims in topics like this. I think lubricant differences only come down to fouling and cleaning rates.

I like the mink oil, as it doesn't get real stiff in the winter. Bear grease, or the kidney fat, is also very good.
When I was a LOT younger, I thought that they took the mink - commercially grown - and put them through one of the old-fashioned clothes wringers. I envisioned a lot of very flat mink.
there are a great many lubes that you can use, even "Bag Balm", used on the udders of milk cows. Best hand softener you ever saw, and it makes a marvelous lube.
Any time you go on a forum and mention patch lube for muzzle-stuffers, you will generate a lot of controversy. Fun times!

The real question is does patch lube make a difference in accuracy? With so many different people using different lubes my guess is NO. Am I correct ?
It's number one role is to control fouling, especially from getting crusty.
Otherwise you got to burden yourself carrying swabbing gear around (🙄).
A secondary role is that it can add a consistency to the level of fouling along the barrel.
Thirdly, it can help to protect the barrel from an extended period of fouling.

It’s amazing how these threads keep coming up and just as amazing how many lubes there are used. Personally, I use neat Murphys oil soap. Good accuracy and very little fouling

My question is, how do you fellas apply the lube? Is your patch material dipped in the melted lube then dried? Or do you have a container on the shooting bench and smear the paste on with your fingers prior to loading?

Is your patch material dipped in the melted lube then dried?

No.

At the range i open the can and smear the rifling side of the patch with lube. For hunting, lubed and patched round balls are stored in this thing:

wsrTZCdl.jpg

Could you please describe your technique in using the Murphys.
Just rub a little neat murphys on the patch. Turn it over on the muzzle, so it’s murphys side down. set ball on top and ram home. Nothing complicated. If I’m shooting a comp, the patches are all lubed and put in my shooting bag together. . It doesn’t seem to matter if the Murphys soaks right through or not.

Have to add my 2 cents to the myriad of responses. I have used mutton tallow for awhile successfully. Recently got some jojoba oil. Added a drop to the patches before applying the tallow, they seemed to load much easier.

Recipe # 5,034,761.

Don

Back