• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well folks, I must be the last one here to realize that .570 ball molds under 100 dollars AND in double or more cavitys are non-non-existent .

Please someone tell me of the WHY of Lee not building a .570 diameter ball mold ... instead jumping to .575 diameter.

79 dollars seems like a pretty steep price for a Lyman SINGLE cavity mold for casting .570 balls.

Welcome to the ranks of the wondering. Never made sense, but LEE has never been moved to offer a .570 in close to 30 years I've been watching for it.

Well folks, I must be the last one here to realize that .570 ball molds under 100 dollars AND in double or more cavitys are non-non-existent .

Please someone tell me of the WHY of Lee not building a .570 diameter ball mold ... instead jumping to .575 diameter.

79 dollars seems like a pretty steep price for a Lyman SINGLE cavity mold for casting .570 balls.
Track of the Wolf offers a steel bag mold for around $41.00. Not as easy to use as a Lee or a Lyman.

Bag molds cast good ball, but it’s a five cast at a time, it’s pretty hard to cast a hundred ball at a sitting. I like Track and have always been hay with them. I’ve had no personal experience with their bag molds but have heard nothing good about them. I would highly recommend Callahans molds,# 1 in my book

If ya don’t find a mould, a feller on gunbroker has 200 .570 roundballs for $47.00 openin’ bid, $52.00 buy now and free shippin’. I’ve dealt with him & been very satisfied. Got it on my watch list if ya want the item #

Bag molds cast good ball, but it’s a five cast at a time, it’s pretty hard to cast a hundred ball at a sitting. I like Track and have always been hay with them. I’ve had no personal experience with their bag molds but have heard nothing good about them. I would highly recommend Callahans molds,# 1 in my book

I bought one of tracks bag molds for my 62 smoothy and it casts just terrible balls. Outta round and small if i remember correctly. In fairness tho ... I did not try them in my smooth bore as I did not think such an outta round ball would do well.

Why yes i do insist on using a round ball! When your barrel is 1 turn in 60 something then you shoot ammo that it likes and ... you guessed it, she likes round balls best even tho it is a Enfield

What is the cost of those Tanner molds? I looked on theirweb site and maybe blind but dint see prices.

The Tanner moulds are priced in British Pounds (£25.00 up to 0.600") USD will depend on exchange rate at the time.

I take it you're not using a cloth patch(?). 0.562" would be the one for a 0.577" bore.

My .530" mold is a single cavity. May be too difficult to keep a good temperature with a double 0.570" mold that still fits the large Lyman handles? I don't know.

Earlier thread - same question.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/looking-for-a-double-cavity-570-mould.106074/

Why yes i do insist on using a round ball! When your barrel is 1 turn in 60 something then you shoot ammo that it likes and ... you guessed it, she likes round balls best even tho it is a Enfield

What is the cost of those Tanner molds? I looked on theirweb site and maybe blind but dint see prices.
I had a Zouave from navy arms and a .570 ball, shot one fat hole at 50 yards, 3 inch at a hundred, never got any Minnie to match a ball in that gun. I Think it was a 1/72

The Tanner moulds are priced in British Pounds (£25.00 up to 0.600") USD will depend on exchange rate at the time.

I take it you're not using a cloth patch(?). 0.562" would be the one for a 0.577" bore.

My .530" mold is a single cavity. May be too difficult to keep a good temperature with a double 0.570" mold that still fits the large Lyman handles? I don't know.

Earlier thread - same question.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/looking-for-a-double-cavity-570-mould.106074/

Yes my load consist's of; 70 grains old E 1.5 Fg powder, .570 ball patched with a .010 patched lubed with mink oil and sparked up with a CCI number 11 magnum cap.

This is a nice tight load and loads easy. Ragged hole accuracy at 35 yds (no longer yardage at this time).

I have tryed many different kinds of minnies but with one exception, they all failed miserably. Three different sizes from track, two lyman molds hete at home and a couple Lee molds also here at home. The exception is the lightest Lee mold I have with a huge flat point on it ( not historically correct I think ).

Have not tryed the Lee REAL bullets yet but this very wide flat nose Lee is ok giving me 2 inch groups at the same 35 yards. Lubed with SPG BP lube.

I also need to try the .562 ball with a thicker patch.

I got some .648 for my 16 gauge Doe Roller for Christmas.

I haven’t tried them yet, but I will soon.

The first U.S. percussion rifle, namely the Model 1841 aka. the "Mississippi rifle" used by Jeferson Davis' volunteers in the Mexican War was a patched round ball shooter with seven deep rifling grooves. While the rate of twist of later rifle muskets looks like a good match with a patched round ball, the U.S. .58 cal. had three shallow rifling grooves that were configured for use with conical bullets, namely the Minié/Burton-type.

The Model 1841 was used with conical bullets too, but accuracy suffered. U.S. Army Ordnance tests determined that a rifled .69 with a conical bullet was more accurate than the 1841 with patched round ball, but that the recoil was fatiguing to the firer.The result of further testing led to the development of the .58 caliber family of rifled arms Model 1855.

As for why the mould may be single cavity, I think that this is fairly standard for larger sized bullets. There are concerns with keeping the mould itself hot enough, and that it should not cool too rapidly, since a lot of lead has to flush the interior of the mould in order to make a solid bullet. Smaller calibers can permit multiple mould chambers.

One can load round balls if s/he so desires, but there are real reasons the shallow and broad three groove barrels work better with conicals. Keep your powder dry!

Back