• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round Ball Shooters...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a question for you. I have some found lead bars. One weight is 25 lbs may have been a window, door weight from a 100++ barn. Other small 3lb bars. Do you think they would be good for bullet making?
I must have had bad luck using wheel weights...I couldn't pry the mold apart...after several people commented on using wheel weights with no problem I did some research. One comment was depending on the area a different mix of lead is used. ??? I must have lucked out on that one.

I have experienced what seems to be a direct correlation between distance to the game and distance traveled after the shot with the exception of buffalo. Deer, elk and antelope all seemed to react with similar responses. When shot at distances from 10 to 20 yards they generally flopped over. When shot in the 40 to 60 yard range they went about that distance before tipping over. The antelope did not go as far as the shot but they are not that hardy. The buffalo went down immediately and then got up and it was game on with two more shots required to stop him. They are way bigger on the ground when you have to dress them than you think they are. All game animals have a certain amount of oxygen available in their blood stream regardless of where shot. The nerve or bone damage, and general shock impact will obviously make a difference in distance traveled.

I must say I am amazed at the good luck or great accuracy of those muzzleloader hunters whose game "drops right there" or only goes a few feet. I wish that was what I usually experience. I shoot a .54 flintlock, 80g Swiss, wait for shots less than 60 yards, and always hold for a double lung shot. This is for lots of deer and antelope. I'd say the average shot distance is 40 yards. With double lung damage, the average animal probably travels 25 to 50 yards before expiring. The 2 longest runs after being hit were 125 and 135 yards, both animals running that far with no evidence of a heart left at all. I think of my muzzleloader as a glorified longbow and just expect to have to track the animal around 50 yards.

I must say I am amazed at the good luck or great accuracy of those muzzleloader hunters whose game "drops right there" or only goes a few feet. I wish that was what I usually experience. I shoot a .54 flintlock, 80g Swiss, wait for shots less than 60 yards, and always hold for a double lung shot. This is for lots of deer and antelope. I'd say the average shot distance is 40 yards. With double lung damage, the average animal probably travels 25 to 50 yards before expiring. The 2 longest runs after being hit were 125 and 135 yards, both animals running that far with no evidence of a heart left at all. I think of my muzzleloader as a glorified longbow and just expect to have to track the animal around 50 yards.

From my ongoing research, as well as being a well seasoned bowhunter, what you contend has some merit to it, at least in terms of RB.

However, I will add that I know of several people that have shot deer's hearts almost completely away with HP unmentionables and the deer still ran quite a bit. Much of it has to do with the deer's behavior at the time shot.

Research continues.

Last edited:
I have experienced what seems to be a direct correlation between distance to the game and distance traveled after the shot with the exception of buffalo. Deer, elk and antelope all seemed to react with similar responses. When shot at distances from 10 to 20 yards they generally flopped over. When shot in the 40 to 60 yard range they went about that distance before tipping over. The antelope did not go as far as the shot but they are not that hardy. The buffalo went down immediately and then got up and it was game on with two more shots required to stop him. They are way bigger on the ground when you have to dress them than you think they are. All game animals have a certain amount of oxygen available in their blood stream regardless of where shot. The nerve or bone damage, and general shock impact will obviously make a difference in distance traveled.
Indeed. Your last sentence is key IMO.

Back