• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round ball question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
50-100

I'm at the range a lot these days (compared to previous years) with my son, but he's not into BP yet. On the rare times that I get to shoot instead of mentoring him, I might shoot ten shots. I might get 5 times like that a year.

LD

I figure I get to the range 13-15 times a year. The number of shots each trip varies widely, but I know I've bought at least 5 boxes, (Possibly 6 or 7) of round ball this year. Since I only just opened that last one Id say my total for the year is in the 400 to 500 range

Stlnifr said:
Just curious how many round balls do you shoot in one year?

I am not able to get out as often as I used to so I don't shoot as many balls as most folks. I probably only shoot about 150 to 200 balls a year. When I lived in Indiana and belonged to the Fish Creek Long Rifles muzzleloading club, I shot about 800 to 1,000 balls a year.

Between 1978 and 2010, between 1700 and 2300 rounds per year; between practice, monthly and postal competition shoots, Rendezvous and hunting. That's only roundball, not shot. I shoot a .350, a .440, a .490, a .530, a .600, and a .735 in the Bess. Since 2010, due to health and physical problems, I shoot about 800 rounds per year. :doh:

I shoot at two monthly club shoots and shoot at Friendship. So somewhere around a 1,000 roundball a year. The Bess really sucks up the lead.

Well after reading such replies as:

700-1200 as a guesstimate,
700 to 500 prb a year,
2 2lb. coffee cans of .45,
in the 400 to 500 range,
in the 220-250 range,
about 800 to 1,000 balls,
about 800 rounds,
around a 1,000 roundball a year,

I am apparently being rather remiss in my duties as a marksman, so I am going to need to increase my shooting by about 3x, as a minimum. Simply must be done, and the wife will simply have to deal with it..., and I will get my son involved more too. :wink:

LD

Assuming an average of 10 rounds shot at each outing (I normally shoot much more that 10) and assuming 150 range days a year (I have my own range and shoot more than that) a conservative estimate would be 1,500 ball per year. Thank goodness that in the real world I get to shoot a lot more that the estimate.

Man am I slackin' I need to retire too!! Darn Work gets in the way of life!!

Back when I used to get to 4-5 Rondy's a year I probably shot 1000 rounds a year Now that I don't have any close by I only shoot when I go for walkabouts and they it's only few times.

Time to go shoot!!

:metoo:

I guess I'm a real slouch as well, I average between 30 to 40 rounds per month, I just never saw a need to hurry, I just take my time and enjoy the moment.

When I competed in the 90's in New England I shot at least 2-3K balls a year. I shot in NH,ME, MA territorials and they were the least amount of balls shot.

The rest of the season was a line shoot every weekend for 3 days with matches that could be reshot. That burned lot's of powder and balls.

Ft. Ty shoots were good for at least 3-400 balls each 3 times a year.

Now without the first Congress of New England clubs and shoots. 200 balls in all calibers work.

I do shoot 2 cylinders a day of my deck if not raining or snowing from C&B revolvers for fun.

Hey Ted. I looked at the Ft Ticonderoga web site but found no info on shooting matches. It re-enactment only or a club near Ft Ticonderoga? Planning a summer trip that includes some flintlock shooting.
Thx
TC

Ft Ty shoots are done and gone. Farm was sold it was held on a few years ago. They went to Saratoga club for a couple of years then NONE.

The shoot was not done by the museum.

Times changed to the bad time for the shoot.

We’re seeing the same in Tx, La, Ar and Ok.

Still looking at a trip into NEw England and hoping to find some shooting opportunities. It was just that Ft Ticonderoga has added interest for me as I served on the USS Ticonderoga 1969-70. Also Gen Henry Knox is a distant ancestor.

Latest posts

Back