• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round ball issue ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 53190

32 Cal
Reaction score
Went out to shoot my Trapper pistol today. Had some older .490 lead round balls. Would not fit in the barrel. Yea, they are a few years old. Came home and checked them, most measure .540/.530 now. Is this a common thing? Not much experience, and curious.

Went out to shoot my Trapper pistol today. Had some older .490 lead round balls. Would not fit in the barrel. Yea, they are a few years old. Came home and checked them, most measure .540/.530 now. Is this a common thing? Not much experience, and curious.
Sounds like they were mixed up with your .54 cal balls:dunno:

th

Hey hey hey
Once I had a 32 waist, it grew and grew till 38-40, now it’s shrunk to 34
Don’t know how long I can keep it there
Age changes things
My rifles get heavier, the ground gets harder, the sun gets hotter and the winter colder
Shoot, time was I could drink like a fish, now a couple of beers over the whole of the day is plenty
You need put them balls on a diet and exercise program

Yup, ya let'm ferment too long they got over-ripe, it's Ok the lead is still good just throw'm in the scrap bucket for re-cast.
(if ya can find your casting gear)
Last week I loaded all my shooting gear into the truck and drove to the range, then I had to drive back home to just grab the rifle.

Last edited:
Hey hey hey
Once I had a 32 waist, it grew and grew till 38-40, now it’s shrunk to 34
Don’t know how long I can keep it there
Age changes things
My rifles get heavier, the ground gets harder, the sun gets hotter and the winter colder
Shoot, time was I could drink like a fish, now a couple of beers over the whole of the day is plenty
You need put them balls on a diet and exercise program
I blame the damn dryer being too hot and shrinking my jeans.

Jim, maybe you lucked onto something like a muzzleloaders perpetual motion machine, the fountain of lead. Just keep those balls right where they are and maybe they'll grow to tomato or cantaloupe size. With luck you won't have to buy lead ever again.😏

Yeah, but then he'll have to buy a cannon. As it is, he's already gotta go out and buy a .54.

Yes, I believe you did have them, but those are not the balls you bought to the range.
Larry

Latest posts

Back