• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

round ball molds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammerhead

40 Cal.
Reaction score
if a rondezvous was only once a year and that could be the only time a mountain man saw others how did they keep from running out of ammunition you never see them carrying around big blocks of lead and a ton of powder in the movies. is that just hollywood description or did they run out and wait for rondezvous.

Ya know that pack horse or mule that follows the horse an rider?
:hmm:
So ya leave the bulk of items at the camp or cabin,,then go about your daily buisness.

I don't think Mt. Men were the hermits they are made out to be. They travled in large (ish) groups and had base camps and such. Maybe not as easy to get you goods as we have now, but more often than once a year.

P

Just a thought, but they weren't always "loaded for bear". Maybe why they waited for the bear to be only a few feet away. If they shot some game, they'd find the lead ball and re-use (re-melt) the lead. Many accounts of them running low on lead balls and waiting to shoot. Would save some powder too.

Part of the reasoning that went into this: In the Foxfire books, there's stories of waiting for the animal to get a tree behind it and then shoot. The 'hawk they brought along would cut the lead ball out of the tree......

Just an idea.

another thing that they did(at least in the western areas) was make trips to out lying forts and trade stations.the hudson bay co.,american fur co.,and several others would set up trade posts in vallys on rivers for trading with indians and other trappers.

Also, they did not shoot as much as you might think. we shoot alot for fun. They shot only when they needed to, so a couple of pounds of lead and powder would last most folks a long time especialy when you re-use the balls.. Back when I was getting to rendezvous 5 or 6 times a year i would only use about 3 lbs of powder.. never kept good track of balls but you get the picture.. "keep yer powder dry"

Back