• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round ball modes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Presley

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I m looking for round ball modes for my 54 cal and my daughter 50cal. Know where I can found them?

You will find the Lee molds heat up quickly when your casting. Because they are aluminum there isn't much mass there so usually my first 2 pours have some flaws but after that they "run" bullets just great.
Because they are aluminum they loose heat fast too so if you stop casting for 2-4 minutes the first pour may have some flaws.

Guy's,

I found the lee .530 roundball mold on Midway USA for $15. I decided to get two just for the reason you have mentioned here. I also picked up a ladel and pot. Guess I'll use my good old coleman propane stove.

Spot

SS,
Watch it using a Coleman stove for casting lead. I used one many years ago and the weight of the pot and lead, combined with the heat needed to maintain temperature caused the flimsy wire grid to heat up and just sag down onto the burner. Not dangerous, but frustrating.

MM,
I use a BBQ grill when I have to and our backyard fire pit when I don't.

It's right comfy to sit by a small fire on cool nights and run balls. When my kids were little they'd sit out in the yard with me and see who was the bravest (see dumbest) by touching the shiney balls first. Somtimes I'd let them help me hold the handles of the mold and then in a day or two bring in a varmint killed with the ball they helped cast. They'd strut bigger than me when I did.

"A hunter's camp in the Rocky Mountains is quite a picture. He does not always take the trouble to build any shelter unless it is in the snow season, when a couple of deerskins stretched over a willow frame shelter him from the storm. At other seasons he is content with a mere breakwind. Near at hand are two upright poles, with another supported on the top of these, on which is displayed, out of reach of hungry wolf or coyote, meat of every variety the mountains afford. Buffalo depouilles, hams of deer and mountain-sheep, beaver-tails, &c., stock the larder. Under the shelter of the skins hang his powder-horn and bullet-pouch; while his rifle, carefully defended from the damp, is always within reach of his arm. Round the blazing fire the hunters congregate at night, and whilst cleaning their rifles, making or mending mocassins, or running bullets, spin long yams of their hunting exploits, &c." George Frederick Ruxton

Lee used to make a little 4 lb. pot that was quite inexpensive. I still use mine for casting balls and it must be close to 30 years old. I think I gave $13.00 for it back then. I find the pots much easier and convenient to use. I'll admit they don't have the romance of a bed of coals and a cast pot tho.

Vic

quote:Originally posted by tommy b:
SS,
Watch it using a Coleman stove for casting lead.
A good tip...

I use my BBQ grill's side burner...
I hear you can cook on it too...
grin.gif

Back