• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round ball differences

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnbearbaiter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've always shot Hornady round balls and never had a qualm with them. I shoot prly golf ball size 25yd groups, lime size groups at 50yds, baseball size at 75yds, and softballs at 100-125yds. No complaints here... I've came across some posts from other forums on inconsistencies within a box of Hornady balls and that Speer and other companies balls are "just better"? I'm not a junkie who weighs every ball and mic's em to death I just spent alot of time at the range when i bought the rifle with a box of .530 and .535 and a bunch of patches of different thicknesses and the loading that held its accuracy across the board even when being pushed by what I consider a potent 100gr ffg T7 is what i went with. Did i not get the memo on Hornady balls being sub par???

Your groups are fine for hunting.
It only get's dicey when your after cutting the X out a bulls-eye in competition,, when a 9-ring shot will loose a match.
Having a tight (or very tight) tolerance in ball size and weight is just another variable to eliminate while searching for all out accuracy.
Something target shooters worry about more then folks that just want good hunting accuracy.

Miss the memo...?????
Nope...we didn't send it to you..!!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Like JohnT said, your results are just fine for a hunting rifle. ENJOY..!! :thumbsup:
Serious target shooters would look for better precision by starting with individually weighed balls, plus a few other steps in the process to get all the balls into ONE kinda ragged hole. The rifle I use for Chunk and Table shooting is a 50 caliber that will put 10 RB's into one hole you can over with a quarter from 50 yds, off a rest. That only gets me in the middle of the pack competitively speaking.

Sometimes I do impress myself and shoot groups tighter than the examples given but I know I can shoot the examples given all day so I don't boast and claim to shoot better than I do. Thanks again for the insight

I told a friend who cast is own RB,s that he should weigh them to see if their is any inconsistencies between them which could effect their accuracy.Air pockets inside could throw the balls accuracy between balls right out the window.

Latest posts

Back