• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rooster down at dawn.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Since squirrel hunting the other day the trade gun was still fouled. This bad cold just had me beat once I got home. Besides I don't worry about cleaning like most. Not when my muzzleloaders are slavoured in natural fats and oils. It was still loaded too. I in the rain a couple of days ago cleared the prime, cut a dry twig of hazel, sharpened it and poked it in the vent. Removed the flint and stuck a warning flag in the muzzle.
So this morning well before light I prepped the dirty gun and set out in the dark primarily to wait for a fox. I've shot several fox's here for several weeks now and I think they have destroyed my local population of pheasants!
I have not heard them for months going upto roost!
My lands boundary is a small river. On the other side there is following the river a strip of wild growth. Willow, hazel and birch have made a long strip of heathland. My pheasants go in there. Unfortunately a lot of grain is grown that side to and the fox's live there too! It is never disturbed! So I think my birds have been snapped up!
Anyway, no fox came by as I watched it come light. I refreshed the prime twice, the trees were dripping from early rain. I also pricked the vent desperately trying to get some dry prime in the vent me fearing a miss fire.
Giving up on a fox I made a half mile walk over a hill to where I had spied a couple of roosters a week ago. I crept through the oaks and hollies to the edge of a fresh sown barley field. It was a hen I saw first then a cock, another cock and a few more hens. I watched which way they were headed and stealthily made my way to head them off.
I just about pulled it off! Had I delayed a few seconds more they would of seen me sliding into position! The wind blowing the leaves helped and I watched them come closer and closer to my edge of the wood.
Finally at around 27yds the big cock bird turned side on and the hens were safely out of the way, I took aim and dropped the flint.
There was a whoosh, fizz and a crackle! I flinched awaiting recoil from a hangfire! Didn't happen. No discharge. I held my nerve whilst my bird wondered what he had had just witnessed. Fortunately he started feeding again! I reached for the flask, reprimed, put flask away, cocked the cock, aimed again at the cock, dropped the cock and instant BOOM, bird down. #1rooster 2021/22 pheasant season has started!
Nope, not the so called traditional pheasant shooting conducted here in the UK but I'm not in that scene no more. The hooray Henry's and bragging blow hards I tired of a long time ago. I'm a pot hunter. I got out before light and brought food home.
I spoke no manure to no one and heard no manure from no one.
I was in creation, made by someone far more wise than us!
20211001_080918.jpg

Envious. I’d have to go to a game farm to hunt a bird like that. Here in New England my gun club bought small quantities from game farms and released them on leased land for member hunts. It stopped when we lost the lease amd could not find another.
Spent many a season upland game hunting and don’t recall ever seeing a pheasant in the wild.

Since squirrel hunting the other day the trade gun was still fouled. This bad cold just had me beat once I got home. Besides I don't worry about cleaning like most. Not when my muzzleloaders are slavoured in natural fats and oils. It was still loaded too. I in the rain a couple of days ago cleared the prime, cut a dry twig of hazel, sharpened it and poked it in the vent. Removed the flint and stuck a warning flag in the muzzle.
So this morning well before light I prepped the dirty gun and set out in the dark primarily to wait for a fox. I've shot several fox's here for several weeks now and I think they have destroyed my local population of pheasants!
My lands boundary is a small river. On the other side there is following the river a strip of wild growth. Willow, hazel and birch have made a long strip of heathland. My pheasants go in there. Unfortunately a lot of grain is grown that side to and the fox's live there too! It is never disturbed! So I think my birds have been snapped up!
Anyway, no fox came by as I watched it come light. I refreshed the prime twice, the trees were dripping from early rain. I also pricked the vent desperately trying to get some dry prime in the vent me fearing a miss fire.
Giving up on a fox I made a half mile walk over a hill to where I had spied a couple of roosters a week ago. I crept through the oaks and hollies to the edge of a fresh sown barley field. It was a hen I saw first then a cock, another cock and a few more hens. I watched which way they were headed and stealthily made my way to head them off.
I just about pulled it off! Had I delayed a few seconds more they would of seen me sliding into position! The wind blowing the leaves helped and I watched them come closer and closer to my edge of the wood.
Finally at around 27yds the big cock bird turned side on and the hens were safely out of the way, I took aim and dropped the flint.
There was a whoosh, fizz and a crackle! I flinched awaiting recoil from a hangfire! Didn't happen. No discharge. I held my nerve whilst my bird wondered what he had had just witnessed. Fortunately he started feeding again! I reached for the flask, reprimed, put flask away, cocked the cock, aimed again at the cock, dropped the cock and instant BOOM, bird down. #1rooster 2021/22 pheasant season has started!
Nope, not the so called traditional pheasant shooting conducted here in the UK but I'm not in that scene no more. The hooray Henry's and bragging blow hards I tired of a long time ago. I'm a pot hunter. I got out before light and brought food home.
View attachment 96934
View attachment 96935
You need to write a book! I read your post and for a second I was right by your side. Nice work!

don't worry about cleaning like most. Not when my muzzleloaders are slavoured in natural fats and oils. It was still loaded too.
I know some of your methods and activities garner negativity and arguments from others, (just waiting for the pompous blow hard in chief to chime in) I am not one of them. If your methods work, they work.
I am curious, when you say your muzzleloaders are, "slathered in natural fats and oils," (and I know you mean animal and vegetable fats and oils) how much do you clean the bore before your initial loading of a cleaned and oiled gun? If at all.

View attachment 96934
View attachment 96935
When I was younger we use to have pheasants here in Pennsylvania but not now, too bad!

I know some of your methods and activities garner negativity and arguments from others, (just waiting for the pompous blow hard in chief to chime in) I am not one of them. If your methods work, they work.
I am curious, when you say your muzzleloaders are, "slathered in natural fats and oils," (and I know you mean animal and vegetable fats and oils) how much do you clean the bore before your initial loading of a cleaned and oiled gun? If at all.
Not at all brother.
My latest combo of coconut fat and olive oil sets once the gun cools from its hot bath. No migration to worry about.

Not at all brother.
My latest combo of coconut fat and olive oil sets once the gun cools from its hot bath. No migration to worry about.
So you don't clean it out of the bore at all before loading?
Interesting.

I have been meaning to create a topic thread asking for ways to protect one's bore post cleaning that won't have me swabbing the bore with alcohol before loading.

I guess I'm already doing that. I use a blend of neatsfoot oil, olive or coconut oil, and just enough beeswax to keep it in place.

View attachment 96934
View attachment 96935

You need to write short hunting stories!
Fantastic job in the telling of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back