• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ROA - next best choice.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I couldn't figure a way to do a search for this idea that did not return too much info.
I've a yen for a quality .44/.45 BP revolver. I have a Pietta .36 New Police that I enjoy very much and a Trapper flint pistol.
I have been much impressed with the reports over the years about the Ruger Old Army, now discontinued (a few nice ones at Gunbroker).
My question is, though, what currently available BP revolvers come closest in quality, etc. to the Ruger.
I realize the subjective nature of my request.
Pete

Why not buy an ROA via Gunbroker? You are correct in that they are the best of the genre, and even though discontinued by Ruger they are available on the open market, as you have already noticed.

After that, I suppose the next choice (sticking with .44 caliber) would have to be a Uberti or Cimarron Uberti 1858 Remington New Model Army, 1860 Colt Army or Euroarms Rogers and Spencer. I consider them equal in quality and reliability, and make no recommendation beyond that as the choice becomes a personal one as to which fits your hand better.

While I agree with mykeal with Uberti New Model Army,1860 Army, or even the Euroarms Rogers and Spencer being of great quality I would like to add the Pietta New Model Army to the list as well.

Pietta's quality & workmanship has greatly improved over the past 5 years & is just on par with what Uberti produces with only a slight difference in color tones of the bluing which really separates the two, the Pietta grip is also slightly larger than the Uberti too but to some that can be a plus.

Pete, the suggestions by Mykeal and others are sound. However, one that was not mentioned (and in my estimation) is TOP quality is the USFA version of the 1860 revolver. It is top quality all the way, an exact copy, and yes you will pay for it! I have a USFA Colt SAA and it is a beauty!!

If you truly want the Ruger, buy one now. I'm still seeing great deals on them at gun shows and occasionally on gunbroker. Their prices are going to start going up soon.

As for a good second choice, the Uberti Remingtons are really nice. A particular favorite of mine is the Euroarms Rogers and Spencer revolver. It has a really nice balance and is quite a good shooter.

Gee this sounds to me like it's turning into a R&S thread :applause: . I'll agree with them other fellers.
A Ruger is one way to go if your not expecting it to be period correct. The Ruger is kinda a composite of several pistols, some say taking the best of each pistol. Myself I don't own one yet--why? No Idea, except one hasn't spoken to me yet. A BP pistol has to speak to me before I buy one ( I own about 8 or 9). I am always looking for more it's kinda like that potato chip you can't have just one. I have a gun show In Grand Rapids to go to this weekend SOOO you never know.

I've found that the Rugers just keep on ticking. I spent more time replacing broken parts on all the Italian guns I've had.
Ruger, American technology and materials. Just better in my experience.

Back