• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

right hand, left hand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone out there had any experience shooting left handed with a right-handed flintlock? Are there any particular problems or helpful hints? -- other than wearing good shooting glasses :)

By way of background, I am a new flintlock convert -- in fact, I am still waiting for delivery of a Lyman 50 cal. I am right-handed, but lost useful vision in my right eye nearly two years ago. Been learning to shoot left-handed since. No real problem with modern arms or percussion, but I am a bit apprehensive about the flash of the flintlock. I don't really want to go to left-handed locks. My vision is very slowly improving, and I hope that eventually I will see well enought to shoot right handed again.

Anyway, any input would be welcome.

I practice shooting left handed because a lot of times I can't turn to shoot in a hunting situation. Learning to shoot from both sides enables me to take advantage of more opportunity's. It feels a bit awkward but the only real difference I have found is I have to shoot left handed with my right eye closed. When I shoot right handed I shoot with both eyes open, so its a bit getting used to.

I am right handed but my sight in my right eye is not as good as it was. So I shoot my flint left handed and it doesn't bother me . Besides my left eye is my dominant eye, so when shooting left handed I can shoot with both eyes open. The only problem my gun has a cast off for a right hand shooter. I just bought a 36 cal. X 7/8 X 42" GM barrel to build another gun. This one will be a right hand percussion stright stock and no cheek piece so I can shoot it either way. :grin:

If it was a problem there would not have been so many double flint fowlers!

I used to shoot a left hand rifle right handed with no problems. The lock is well ahead of the shooters face and eyes either way.

I am a lefty, I own and shoot more righties than lefties rock locks, never bothered me.

To all who say no way, then I know they wouldn't take a good double flinter if it was offered. :rotf:

The first couple of times I shot flint it really bugged me. I have been fine since. Us lefties just got to get use to this right handed world.

I have never owned a lefthanded sidelock and the ones I have handled feel awkward to me. I would never buy a rifle with a casted off stock though that would screw me up.

Just regular eye protection is all you need to shoot a righthand flint. After the first couple of times out shooting you don't even notice the flash.

I have only one eye and still only shoot flint front stuffers. The really important thing is what you had in mind with adequate eye protection.
The most important thing about this is you need to feel safe at whatever you are doing. Confidence will come with practice. as usual, Spot

You know, I've shot left handed since I was a kid because I'm so left eye dominant. I have always used right handed weapons and never had a problem, even with percussion.

But I am still "gun-shy" about flinters. Although I am just starting out with flintlock I am more worried about it than with other rifles. But it seems like so many people are shooting the right flint locks lefty that maybe I will go with a right lock after all.

Thanks for all your input.

Doc

im a right-hander but left-eye dominant. i grew up shooting left-handed due to my eye-dominance. i have right-handed caplocks that i shoot left-handed that don't bother me a bit. when i got my flintlock rifle, though, i had a choice between left-handed and right-handed. i chose left-handed because, regardless of which side the lock is on, the cheekpiece is on the correct side now and it just fits much better.

I'm left handed and have never had a left handed gun. Never had a problem shooting flintlocks.
Joe Puleo

SJoe,
I shoot right handed rifles, but my double is just what it says, double. NO PROBLEM
Left right, left right, right!
Flintlocks Forever,
Lar :applause:

Always wear proper eye protection when shooting flintlocks. With the one eye you have damaged, it is extra important that you take care of the other. The reason for having the lock on the other side of the stock from where your face is is because the stock and barrel offer addtional protection from the sparks, burning powder, and bits of flnt that can be thrown and blown into your face if the lock is on the same side of the stock as your face is. Obviously, this is a problem for Double Barreled Fintlock shotguns, and rifles, and those shooters learn to live with it.

You can shoot a right handed flintlock using your left eye. I think it just takes much more practice to overcome you inclination to flinch and close your eyes when it goes off. After all, because your face is on the same side of the lock, both of your eyes cans eee the priming fire off.

You might be better off learning to close that right eye until you train your brain to ignor the flint striking the frizzen and lighting the prime.

no problem
I shot right handed for years ,untill like you I lost my right eye.I built a left smooth bore but,found it unhandy cause I am stil right handed I have 3 right handed flinters and shoot them all.learning to shoot lefty was hard for me hang in there.........stickwalker :hatsoff:

Excellent topic. I am a lefty and have had the very same concerns as you... glad to see the responses, If I come across a sweet deal on a righty flinter I won't be afraid to buy it. If I have a choice, like when I build my flinter, I will go lefty though.. All my smokeless rifles are right handed, but I find it easier and more natural to cock my caplocks with my left hand.

Many thanks to all of you for the input and encouragement. I had no idea that there were so many people shooting left-handed with right-hand actions, for whatever reasons.

It just did not occur to me that anyone shooting a double barreled flinter would have one action in front of his face regardless of which shoulder he used :hmm: and those that could afford doubles have been shooting them for 300 years or more :redface:

Thanks again to all of you guys. I am really looking forward to receiving my rifle and taking it out to the range.

"There's been a few helpful tips posted as of late over on the Smoothbore forum."

I've looked over the post topics in smooth bore for the last 2 months and did not find the discussion on tips for shooting lefty with a righthander.

I must have missed the posts, could you point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Doc

Back