• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RIfle Cases

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Boylan

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking for a good and somewhat HC/PC gun case for my Pedersoli Kentucky rifle. Something nice to pack it in. I see TOTW has some and am interested in the canvas ones. Would they be HC/PC?

Other than that I see a few trade blanket made ones sold on ebay. But the prices of the TOTW ones are pretty good.

Here's what I'm looking at. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/29/1

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't answer the hc/pc question. But that never stopped me from offering opinions. :wink:
My experience is the soft leather and blanket cases hold moisture sumptin terrible. If ye want to look cool walking around ronny camp with yer rifle and colorful blanket case is just the thing. But, I always took my rifle out at night otherwise it would look really 'authentic' like 200 years old and left in the barn. :shocked2: :( For transport (in my vehicle) I use one of those new modern :shocked2: fluffy silicone impregnated cases. They breath nicely.

I have read a few posts about the moisture retention of the blanket and leather cases so I wouldn't think of keeping my gun in them for too long. But I was wondering if the canvas ones would allow it to breath or keep moisture off of the gun enough that it might be better for carrying my gun in. I like the prices, but I would like something that also plays to the HC/PC part as well.

For what it's worth, I tried one of those canvas cases and was disappointed, ultimately did not use it.
Very coarse / rough texture, worried it would eventually rub finish off at stress points...washed & dried it a couple times to try and soften it but it really didn't satisfy me.

Then I went with this suede case and never looked back...it's been outstanding.

I use several of those for my muskets and I think very highly of them , the guns when cleaned are stored in my safe in those covers , no problems on gun finish at all , the muskets travel to events in the covers in a locked box also with no issues , eventually some gun oil will get into the material and this will add to the protection of your gun . :thumbsup:

Hi IowaShooter. Here's one you might like. Go to: www.flintlockrepair.com Click on Accountrements. Scroll down and check out the wool gun sleeves. I own three of these. They are really nice and well made. I own the grey and rust colors, but really like the grey. Super quality and very reasonably priced. Fast shipping too. Rick. :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
I made the ones for my guns . I used a blanket inner with a canvas cover. I do not store my guns in a cover just a gun cabinet. Clean and oil the unused guns at least 3 time a year. Oil with bear oil. Never had a problem with rust. I just use them for storage and transport to an event as I try to do as much shooting as possible at the event the gun gets cleaned and oiled every day.

Kenny, you sound just like me in this regard with the exception of the bear oil, I use Barricade. I am also giving a new (to me, anyway) product called Frog Lube a try. It is working very well so far but I only use it on the outside of my muzzleloading guns. It is just too darn slick to use in the bore or as a patch lube. Yes, it is possible for a patch lube to be too slick and I, and others, have data to prove it. I use it everywhere on my modern guns but only on the outside of my muzzleloaders. So far, it seems to be a pretty good product and does exactly what they say it will do.

Also, like you, I make my rifle cases using blanket material on the inside and canvas on the outside. I use a 1/2 inch leather strap and buckle to close my gun cases.

Used one of those canvas covers from TOTW last year and it worked ok, but I just have to drive about 15 minutes to where I hunt.

Then last year my granddaughter did a project in school on Dicey Langston, and made a cardboard longrifle for her presentation. I gave her the TOTW case to carry it to school, and it's still hanging in her closet, protecting her "rifle".
Guess I'll have to order another. But that suede case sure looks nice....

I have used several of the Dixie thin leather (suede?) cases with the fringes, all of them dyed a reddish brown.

While they work all right, they do discolor any brass parts that make contact with the leather.

I'm sure many of you wouldn't care but when I make brass mounted longrifles with polished patch boxes etc. it does gripe me to have to re-polish them.

1601phill said:
I use several of those for my muskets and I think very highly of them , the guns when cleaned are stored in my safe in those covers , no problems on gun finish at all , the muskets travel to events in the covers in a locked box also with no issues , eventually some gun oil will get into the material and this will add to the protection of your gun . :thumbsup:

Nice case. Same goes for the ones Ricky talked about. So many choices so little cash. LOL

Lots of great advice and selections. I'm going to have to do more thinking and research on these. I am leaning more towards either the canvas or Trade Blanket ones. I want something that will look HC and protect my rifle. Even though I just own a Pedersoli, it's my gun and I want to do right by it.

Will the wool hold in moisture and possibly rust the gun? Will the canvas do the same or does one wick the moisture away from the gun and breath better than the other?

Inquiring minds want to know. :haha:

Zonie said:
I have used several of the Dixie thin leather (suede?) cases with the fringes, all of them dyed a reddish brown.

While they work all right, they do discolor any brass parts that make contact with the leather.

I'm sure many of you wouldn't care but when I make brass mounted longrifles with polished patch boxes etc. it does gripe me to have to re-polish them.

Beautiful rifles. I really like the 4th rifle down from the top.

Don't know what Dixie used to sell for fringed gun cases, but the one I have is the one shown on their website...a light tan color and I never noticed anything odd happening to my brass.
They're made out of pretty thick heavy duty suede with a double layer stitched in place as reinforcement at key stress points like where the lock is, etc...when you pick one up and handle it you immediately realize its an excellent quality case.

I'm not counting that one out. I've got a lot of research and looking to do. Wish I lived close to the Dixie store. I'd really like to go on a binge there someday. :slap:

HC/PC??? :confused: Heck I don't know :idunno: but if they will work for you, you can't buy the canvas and make your own for that price. I know because I make my own for each of my rifles. However, mine are blanket lined for added padding and protection.

Back