• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rice or Colerain c weight differences?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee.45

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What are the differences in the Rice square rifling and the Colerain 42" 58 c weight barrels? According to the measurements they're the same diameter in the same places.

Both of the brands you mentioned probably have excellent bores and I would prefer the round or radius groove rifling ....easier cleaning.

Have used both brands in my LRs and prefer the Rice....the Colerain exterior finish isn't as smooth and sometimes the breechplug isn't fitted properly. The finish is not a major gunsmithing problem and if the plug is sealed off, there's, from a practical standpoint, no difference. I've mainly used Colerain because of availability, but usually choose Rice.......Fred

The Rice barrel I have is the gun builder special, and the finish is about the same as the Colerain I have, the tang on the Colerain seems less flared then the Rice, maybe it's just the barrel I have? I'm needing a replacement barrel for my stock, I've already inlet the the stock for the Rice barrel and tang but I accidentally drilled through the barrel when drilling an underlug

Have you checked w/ Rice on availability for the same bbl? That's the "safe" option.....the gamble would be w/ the Colerain....there are tolerances for both brands and whether one will fit the inlets for the other is a chance you would have to take w/ the Colerain. Sometimes patience is necessary and that's why I have a minimum of 2-3 builds being built simultaneously....have a whole lot of patience while building, but a lot less when accumulating parts for future builds.....Fred

If rice has one I'll order it, it's only a $20 difference in price for the barrels I'm looking at

You accidently drilled through the barrel? Just
checking....I thought you meant you accidently
drilled through the barrel.

Yep, drill bit wondered and I'm pretty sure the chuck is bad too...so I need a new barrel and a new drill

Are they all at various stages during their respective builds, or do you tend to be doing the same task on all of the different guns? RR pipe inletting for instance. If so, that would explain how you could be so much faster than those of us that only work on one gun at a time. It takes us a year to do one, and you can get 3 done in just a little bit longer time frame because you don't forget the little tricks that we do when it might be a year or more between individual applications.

When 3 LRs are being worked on simultaneously, there's always one build that has preference and the builds are not in sync w/ each other. I don't do the same operation on all three at the same time.

At times when one gets completed, there's only 2 left to work on and then one gets preference.....a third might be in the ordering stage w/ some parts in house.

Each LR requires so many hours to complete and there's no short cuts....only efficiency . I can drill and pin 4 bbl lugs in a total time of 15 mins in the drill press which I consider efficient. A little less time for 3 RR pipes.

The reason for doing this is to eliminate job stoppage due to lack of parts.

Presently am working on only 1 LR...it's my last.....Fred

Back