• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lehigh County Style Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Started on a Lehigh County style flinter, getting the barrel set into place. .58 Caliber Rice "C" weight barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_1765.JPG
    IMG_1765.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1766.JPG
    IMG_1766.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1767.JPG
    IMG_1767.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1769.JPG
    IMG_1769.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Having been born in the Lehigh Valley, I'm interested in your build.
If you would, post photos of the details that make it a Lehigh.
I'm saving up for my final rifle (since it'll take all of my money!), and I want to know what details I like and which details don't matter to me.
So far, I like cast-off the most. It makes my poorboy so easy to aim!
The continuous curve of the stock is another detail I like.
My poorboy has a swamped barrel, and that makes it lighter.
Are you styling it after an historic maker, or more free-form?
I'll be watching your posts, so thank you in advance.

What style are you building? John Rupp and John Moll patterned guns (from the Central Lehigh county style) are the most often built. I also tend to consider them the trickiest to get right. I strongly suggest you get a copy of the Kentucky Rifle Assn Disc # 10 and study all 20 of the guns on it. Every nuance, and every detail. Not just the style you are building, but the others too. Look at what contemporary builder Allen Martin does too.

With that heavy of a barrel you're surely going to want to keep that web very thin, like 1/16" in the back, and 5/32" in the front. Side flat coverage should be about 30%-35%. RR coverage around 1/4 -1/3.

Just about everything on these rifles is different from just about every other style. It's really really easy to mess up the architecture. That's why it takes most builders about 4-5 tries at building one before they feel they get it "right".

One thing to be aware of, is that, unlike more popular styles like Lancasters, there are no static curves in most of the architecture. They are continuously evolving--getting tighter or looser as the position changes along the stock. For example; look closely at the toe line curve radius along its' entire length for (ignoring the double radius curve under the trigger guard of the Rupp for the moment). You will see that it starts out loose near the trigger guard, than gets tighter and tighter as you approach the butt plate. The top line of the wrist needs to be high. That's what I think is the biggest cause (wrist top line being too low) of a lot of contemporary Lehigh builds' architecture being "off".

Another very common mistake (with the Rupps and Molls) is to cut in the double wrist radius curve too deep, and /or of a static radius. That curve radius should be subtle, and have an evolving nature to be "right". That (static radius) results in architecture that doesn't quite "flow right" in the butt and through the wrist. Study the disc on those guns very carefully. It's a VERY subtle profile. It has to "fit right" in it's curve radius with the relationship with the comb nose, and comb curve radius. It's a very subtle thing. When you hit it, it's beautiful. When you don't, the result can look kinda clunky. By that, I mean that your eye should be naturally drawn to "sweep" along the length of the rifle in a visual manner giving the gun a graceful look. When there are distinctive areas that your eye tends to want to stop, (usually that's in the transition zones) and the curves appear to change direction abruptly, that's what I mean by "clunky".

So look at lots and lots of guns from all the resources. And, as important, look at them very critically. Try to identify what almost ALL of these guns got wrong in their architecture (and they all did to some extent) , and, what they got right.

The shape of the cheek rest rollover and concave portion of the cheek rest makes all the difference in whether the gun will be a cheek slapper or not. How will your head be aligned when you mount the gun? You want it upright and facing more forward than on other styles, with a rounder comb top than some other styles forward of where your cheek bone lands. That will let the gun kick out of the way and your cheekbone to slide off more when it's coming back rather than rise up to smack you.

Last edited:
Mike you are truly an artist! I especially like your fowlers, although I’ve yet to be able to afford one!
Thanks! I couldn't find a full length picture of that rifle. If I recall, it had a 48" .50 cal. swamped barrel. I think it was the last Lehigh I made.

Thanks! I couldn't find a full length picture of that rifle. If I recall, it had a 48" .50 cal. swamped barrel. I think it was the last Lehigh I made.
Ha! At a 48” barrel, no wonder you couldn’t find a full length picture! Might have to take two pictures and splice them together!

Wow that's a lot of wood to remove! I didn't realize how much work is required. How do you get rid of the bulk of the wood? Rasp, band saw, sanders......

Latest posts

Back