• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Revolver repair ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I noticed that the halfcock on my .36 navy colt was not working all the time and that the cylinder didn't free wheel as it should. I saw a piece of metal sticking out by the trigger as well. I removed the grip and trigger gaurd from the frame and discovered that the trigger and stop spring was broken. I removed the broken spring and ordered a new one from Dixie Gun Works.

My question is, what do I need to be mindful of when reassembling the revolver after I put in the new spring? Will it all just go together naturally or do I have to position trigger or hammer in a specific way. Also, will timing be effected? This is a Pietta revolver.

Thanks for the help,

Don

Remove the rear two screws out of the grip frame near the hammer and the screw on the bottom. The rear grip frame and grips should come off and you will have the trigger guard left (if you have two-piece grips then remove them first). The mainspring can probably be rotated to the left out from under the hammer and then the trigger guard removed with three screws. If the spring hits the frame, just loosen the screw holding it. At this point, with the gun held upside down, you will see the bolt and trigger with whatever is left of the return spring. Remove that screw and replace the spring, then reverse the order of assembly. The cylinder bolt and trigger are on separate screws going in from the side so don't mess with them or the hammer screw. If the spring is all that broke, timing should not be affected since the bolt rides a lug on the hammer. The only thing to watch is not mixing up the screws holding the grip and trigger guard as they are sometimes different lengths.

Check your library for R. Chicoine "Gunsmithing Guns of the Old West". Very detailed description and sometimes good drawings/photos of all the cap & ball revolvers.

Back