• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Revolver match cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rfp10000

40 Cal
Reaction score
What cleaning routine do revolver match shooter’s follow ? After each cylinder .. after each shot …,after the match ?

I’ve noticed the first few shots with a Remington or colt revolver using .454 round balls seem the most accurate …

What cleaning routine do revolver match shooter’s follow ? After each cylinder .. after each shot …,after the match ?

I’ve noticed the first few shots with a Remington or colt revolver using .454 round balls seem the most accurate …
In our club a match is 13 rounds shot as 5, 5 and 3 rounds in 30 minutes. A competitor can clean as he wishes ONLY WHEN THE GUN IS MT, so long as he does it in the time. Usually its a patch through the barrel between loads. However I have seen a shooter do a complete break down when he was having a problem, then go back to shooting. So long as it's done it the 30 minutes no problem. A quick break down to remove jammed caps is quite common.

I just realized what MT meant …empty 😀
so after each cylinder is what can be done …. Thanks

Shoot 5, patch down the barrel and shoot 5 more.

After 10 shots, a brush down the barrel followed by a patch. Cylinder gets a patch down each chamber and the nipples get wire brushed.

End of the day, pistol gets a complete cleaning before leaving and once at home it is taken completely apart and cleaned.

I use a cylinder loader and load the cylinder off the pistol, much easier and less strain on the pistol.

I load that way as well … I got the powderinc loader .. it has a collar so you can apply the same pressure on each chamber if desired …
I have a Pedersoli Remington that seems very accurate when clean ….I’ve been using 25 gr swiss 3F and 10 gr cream of wheat with a .454 hornady ball ..
I’m thinking of even weighing the charges and balls for the heck of it for a 13 shot run just to see what happens

Load sounds appropriate.

Some will say weighing is a waste of time, but it costs nothing to do. I weigh balls, but not powder.

Powder Inc. is quality loader. I find it easier to use than loading on the pistol.

Thanks a lot for your advice … btw I’ve been using beeswax/olive oil over the ball rather than lubed wads lately … with the ball very close to the barrel .. seems good … Colt seems to like this lube style better than the Remmy however …binding cylinder starts after a couple cylinders … all fun anyway

I make a mixture of Gulf wax and Vasoline to cover the balls.

I vary the ratio to when it will be used. For winter I make one mixture that is a bit softer so it is easier to get out of the container and spread. For summer, I make a mixture which is thicker so it is not runny and messy.

I do not mess with wads.

"binding cylinder starts after a couple cylinders", After loading a cylinder, the arbor gets a swipe of oil before the cylinder goes back in the pistol.

I keep 2 cleaning rods available, one is for cleaning and one has a brush to clean the forcing cone. I put a cleaning patch under the forcing cone so the crud does not fall in to the action.

Back