• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Revolver Cylinder Loader ..Suggestions Please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to buy a "bench loader" to load revolver cylinders taken out of the frame. Experieces with particular brands, models would be most welcome. ROA, 1858 Remington, and 1873 Colt S.A. percussion - all .44 are what I intend to use one for. As Always, THANKS for your help.

I took a scrap board and drove a 20d through the back side,. clipped the point off below the top of the cylinder. Place cylinder on the nail and load with short starter and a leather mallet. place dab of lube on end of short starter and press up against the ball. this lubes perfectly without making a mess. flip cylinder over and cap. Don't drop cylinder after capping. store either in secure leather pouch or carefully insert into pistol.

Homemade from scraps and things I found in my shop but it works. The handle is off of a come-a-long that I bent. Scrap plywood,piece of pipe and a flange, and just "whatever". That centrally located "peg" that I anchor the cylinder on is just a bolt but will soon to be replaced with that square thing on the floor. I haven't a clue what it is but found it in my "junk drawer". This press is a work in progress and is presently being tweaked.I've heard of old drill presses being modified and used as loading presses.There have been several good threads in the past regarding loading presses. In fact I got the idea for this one off of this forum.

Attachments

• 16788885398513323895657900129139.jpg
    16788885398513323895657900129139.jpg
    578.6 KB · Views: 0
It doesn't necessarily even have to be a press. The idea mentioned in post #3 by nick_1 works quite well. Plus it takes alot of stress and strain on the revolver's frame.And really, who is in a hurry?It's not like a bunch of hostiles are coming over that hill. So you really don't need to reload in "record time".

One of mine is a sorta/kinda version of the 1873 Colt single action. There is no provision to load without removing the cylinder. Plus, I'm in the mood for a little "Wells Fargo" or "Pony Express" (whatever they're called) which also has no loading lever. You folks have some really good ideas and designs.

The ones I presently have are all .44/.45, but trading/buying often finds us with a caliber for which we have no mold, etc. Part of the fun of M/L'ing.

Latest posts

Back