• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

revolver bullets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian45662

45 Cal.
Reaction score
You guys ever use anything other than round balls for your revolvers and if so what bullets do you like? I was thinking about getting one of the moulds from lee for my pietta 58 remington. Any suggestions?

You know, that reminds me that I have one of those conical moulds that I've never used. Guess it's time to cast a few so I'll be ready to test them out when the weather turns a bit warmer and less snow.

ian45662 said:
You guys ever use anything other than round balls for your revolvers and if so what bullets do you like? I was thinking about getting one of the moulds from lee for my pietta 58 remington. Any suggestions?

I shoot a Pietta 1858 New Army Police, .36 caliber. I bought the Lee Double Conical Bullet Mold - 36 Cal. 375-130-1R Model #LEE90378.
I use a beeswax olive oil mixture in the lube grooves.

The bullets are deadly on rabbits and other rodents. I even used this bullet on a good sized bull that was sick and needed to be put down, imaginary line from the ears to the eyes, shoot where they cross, shot the bull through the fence, put him right down, surprised me. :shocked2:

sixbull

What would the correct size mold to get the 456 is to big? or is the 450 to small?

ian45662 said:
What would the correct size mold to get the 456 is to big? or is the 450 to small?

I believe that the .456 is for the ROA and the .450 is for the Remmington.

The others that shoot a 44 can answer better than I since I shoot a 36. :surrender:

sixbull

ian45662 said:

Depends on the bore & chamber size of your particular revolver.

The .456 220gr. Conical mold by Lee is really intended for the Ruger Old Army revolvers because their bore is .452 - .453 & the chambers usually run in the .453 - .454 size, the conical will drop from the mold at these dimentions using pure lead.
driving band = .448
second band = .452
last band & forming the nose = .456

I've reamed the chambers on my lil Pietta NMA w/ 5.5" barrel to .451 because the bore ran .4495 to get the best accuracy I can obtain from it & to make it into a conical exclusive piece for me & it shoots those .456's really great.

the .450 200gr. Conical mold by Lee is really for most of the other makes of C&B revolvers out there because the chamber sizes normally range .445 - .448 with an occasional .450 & they do shoot pretty good out of a few C&B revolvers that I've used them in, in the past.
They drop from the mold using pure lead.
driving band =.442
second band = .446
last band & forming the nose = .450.

Back