• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Revolutionary War muskets recovered

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't imagine how anyone ( unless it is an inside job ) can steal large flintlock rifles/pistols out of the Museum of the American Revolution in Philadelphia. Our family toured that place in 2018 and noticed glass around ALL display cases protecting the guns from public hands. If you have never been to that museum, you can see a little about it below:

I can't imagine how anyone ( unless it is an inside job ) can steal large flintlock rifles/pistols out of the Museum of the American Revolution in Philadelphia. Our family toured that place in 2018 and noticed glass around ALL display cases protecting the guns from public hands. If you have never been to that museum, you can see a little about it below:

I'm guessing security wasn't as stringent in the 1970s.
I'm glad they were recovered.

15 years ago I was able to recover and release a modern firearm stolen in the 70s. The owner had passed, but a son drove all day to take possession of a family heirloom.

Good chance you saw the ‘enhanced’ security measures after things disappeared years ago.

That's certainly too light of a sentence but he gave info needed to recover some of those rifles that otherwise wouldn't have been found from what I read. As is usually the case the criminal is able to bargain down his punishment.

There was a front page story in the local paper about this as a local historical society got back 7 rifles that had been stolen 50 years ago.

Screenshot (43).jpg

Yeah, but criminally obtained "information" should not be used as a bargaining tool, especially if it leads to an ridiculous sentence..1 Day... Sure he was fined and put on probation, but 1 day is an insult to the system.

6 months and we all know that his time would be reduced to likely 3 or 4 months. But he should be made to spend some time "reflecting" at the least.

I'm not soft on crime by any means. I spent 23 years in Law Enforcement, mostly working a beat.

BUT, the Statute of Limitation are one of the cornerstones of our justice system, dating back to our founding as a nation. Without it, how many would be in a jam for something foolish done in their teenage or college years?

It appears to me he was arrested for the thefts, bonded out, appeared at court, was given a hefty fine and time served.

Remember the earliest theft occurred in 1969, and the thief was 78 when arrested. If he had medical conditions no one would want him in their jail. The statute had long since expired. It's very surprising, from a legal aspect, he received any punishment at all.

Every museum I'm aware of has back room stock, to be rotated to the front, or a change of directors causes items to be shelved. I don't imagine it was like stealing the Mona Lisa; in plain sight.

Giving up good Intel which helps close other cases have long been a HUGE bargaining chip. I've had several rock solid cases dismissed due to this. One case a person gave up the location of a body, so the family finally got peace of mind and the dignity of a funeral. It stung, as a cop, to lose such a win-able case, but I needed to consider the Greater Good.

As I said, I tracked down the heir to a firearm stolen in the 70s. The son cried as he held the gun he and his father had used almost half a century earlier.

Please make sure you record the serial numbers of your weapon, and or take pics of ones without SN's. Even black powder replicas can be entered into TCIC/NCIC as stolen property and it NEVER leaves the system.

Remember the earliest theft occurred in 1969, and the thief was 78 when arrested. If he had medical conditions no one would want him in their jail. The statute had long since expired. It's very surprising, from a legal aspect, he received any punishment at all.
This. Any decent defense lawyer could have gotten him off with no punishment. Sounds to me like these two guys were collectors and just couldn't resist but now that they're older they decided it's time to make things right.

This. Any decent defense lawyer could have gotten him off with no punishment. Sounds to me like these two guys were collectors and just couldn't resist but now that they're older they decided it's time to make things right.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

Yeah, but criminally obtained "information" should not be used as a bargaining tool, especially if it leads to an ridiculous sentence..1 Day... Sure he was fined and put on probation, but 1 day is an insult to the system.

6 months and we all know that his time would be reduced to likely 3 or 4 months. But he should be made to spend some time "reflecting" at the least.
He should have been sentenced to a blind fold and Cigarette. With the very weapon,s he pilfered.

And if the 74 year old had died what then? The item,s are not going to walk themselves back to where they came from. Im pretty sure that most of you would be extremely ****** if someone absconded with your modern pride and joy. Albeit a muzzle loader

Last edited:
Blast me if you want- but prison time should be given to violent criminals. Yes, he stole those guns. But I don’t think he’s a threat to commit a violent crime on anyone. Keep prison space for the true threats among us.
Consider yourself blasted. Then you would be just like Spain and other European countries. Non-violent crimes, theft, car break-in, house break-ins, purse snatching aren't even pursued by the police as they know the crooks will be out in the streets before they finish paperwork...All of those non-violent crimes are rampant, so much so that you cannot keep things from getting stolen and God forbid you assault somebody stealing your stuff.....you go to jail and they walk free.

Your "idea" has lots of negative unintended consequences...like the mass group thefts from stores..no prosecution no deterrence. Jails are for criminals...commit the crime, do the time.

These turds stole hundreds of thousand, if not millions of dollars work of antique guns. They should at least get a few months of "quiet reflection" in jail. Stern looks and harsh talking to doesn't work.

Yes, something is wrong. I’m for adopting some areas of Islamic law….chop, chop! Can’t steal anymore!

What I read is that the statute of limitations for the theft has expired. Therefor the only thing they could prosecute on would be possession of stolen property. Then the prosecution has to prove he knew the arms were stolen. This way he is at least convicted of something. Also the probation means if he screws up, he can go to prison for at least a few months.

Back