• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Restoration

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootrj2003

36 Cal.
Reaction score
My project is restoration of an original Birmingham ...for want of a better description,Northeast trade gun, obtained at a auction for $50 barrel is good with a fair bore ,lock was a flint converted to percussion and also works all the metal is in fair shape ,seems to be about 12 ga. With Birmingham proof marks dating it to about 1830, wood is total loss ,dry rot ,though ,enough to use as a template for a piece of cherry and for copying inlet of lock and pins etc.will have to replace thenipple and base, pretty beat up ,there is no serpent so probably not for actual Indian trade but a settlers or hunters gun .The barrel is part octagon then round after the half stock ends ,the brass thimble is beat up probably needs replacement seems to me to be a fair candidate as it certainly not much of a museum piece but the parts are all there the screws may be a challenge to replacement,are there any experts on these in the southern NY State area that I could discuss this with?(Mid Hudson region) I am proficient with these just would like a face to face second opinion meeting even if it’s not shootable I will restore to original appearance.

Image and I maybe able to help the biggest fault with restoration is trying to make it look like new a gun that is 150 years old should look its age not straight of the shelf .
Feltwad

Latest posts

Back