• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Restoration Firearms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been looking at the following site:
[url] www.restorationfirearms.com[/url]

They appear to make some very nice rifles. I would appreciate any feedback (positive or negative) from those who have had actual dealings with them.

There are several rifles that I am interested in, but I need feedback from those who have done actual business with them before going further.

Thanks

RDE

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you're the first to find them, do you have that pioneering spirit? :thumbsup:

Every time I become a "pioneer" someone
burns the place down. I have been burned from buying on e-bay.

Their prices do not seen unfair for what they are offering.

I find the T/C Custom Rifle and the T/C Target Rifle very interesting. I do not like a lot of drop on stocks and T/C stocks seem to fit me fine.

Unfortunatley California is a bit far to run to check them out from East Texas. I do not mind a drive for a great steak and a cold beer, but there is a limit to wandering.

Anyone know anything on them?

Thanks

RDE

Looks interesting, Richard, thanks for the link. I'd certainly be content with a well put together GPR or T/C Hawken. Being able to specify length-of-pull would correct the problem I have with the Hawken stock.

One of their T/C Hawken listings sez they are an authorized dealer for the T/C Custom shop. I'd imagine that means that the work done there meets T/C standards. It might even mean that some of the work is actually done at the T/C custom shop.

Wonder if that hand-rubbed oil finish they use stands up to weather. I've heard linseed oil finishes need constant attention. If it's Tru-oil, it should be tough enough.

That straight blued butt plate on the Hawkens is interesting. Bet it's more comfortable than the curved brass butt T/C uses.
Bob

short start,

If I wanted a Lyman GP, I would get theirs. That is a fine looking rifle.

On the T/C Custom I am not sure what you are getting over having an existing Hawken and dropping in your own GM barrel.

What intrigues the most is the T/C Custom, I like the looks of it without the brass on a T/C Hawken.

I have a GM barrel with T/C Contender Silohueete sight, you have to mill the curve off the base of the sight to get it on the barrel. Fox Ridge know carries a very similiar sight for 15/16" barrels. I am wondering what rear sight they are putting on their guns. I was thinking a Lyman front globe sight. The other thing I saw on the site was the 3/8 brass rod with the knurled end.

See like there is very little knowledge of restoration. I guess I will send them an e-mail and see what i can learn about them and if they will provide references.

RDE

The most curious thing about these cats is the continuing reference to hand draw-filed flats. I know what draw-filing is as in making an octoagon barrel from round stock. What is to be gained by draw-filing a factory barrel, aside from de-farbing as they say in the re-enactor game? Do they mean hand-polishing the flats?

RedFeather

Rchard someone ran them on here about a half yr ago. I talked to them a few times and they seem to know what they are doing? I got lucky and the Ithaca Hawken showed up here same week I was going to have them make one for me and it was about a 100 less! Like Red Feather said I didn't get around to asking what the draw ect was for unless it's narrowing the barrel towards the muzz? They do have some of the better looking vs price rifles around. Fred (east texas) :hatsoff: thanks for finding the BP for us all over here! :thumbsup:

It appears that they do some very fine work and I do like their custom made repop Hawken. That being said I do not know enough about Hawkens to say whether it is a "correct" reproduction but to my eye it looks good. I do however know military muzzleloaders, original and reproduction, and their version of the M1861 rifle musket is just WRONG! Now I am sure that it is a good shooter - and that is what most that buy them will want it for so that is okay, but the '61 had bright lock, barrel and furniture so the color casehardening of the lock and bluing of the barrel and furniture, no matter how well and lovingly done, does nothing to improve the gun for me... Why mess up an otherwise fine (I'm sure) line of reproduction firearms with that? :confused: Everyone is allowed a mistake I guess.

I asked them about doing some work for me a couple of days ago and they said they were so far behind they couldn't.

I really dislike the flat buttplates on some of the T/C Hawkens. The GPR rework could be done by anyone with moderate skills. The Hawken Target Rifle seems to be a factory T/C with a Green Mountain barrel. I do like the Custom Hawken.

You're absolutely right. The 1862 Springfield rifled musket had an "Armory Bright Finish" not a color cased hardened one.

You'll note on the 61 specs they say all that you did they just wanted to see how it came out as a custom and I'm not good enough to say the Hawken is very "spot on" but for the price 6 months ago I couldn't find anyone that could touch them. And they had a handfull of used/rebuilt rifles looked good as those others for 350 to 450 that they are sold out now I guess ,a week after I first saw them on here they started o get behind. Fred :hatsoff:

Back