• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RESTOCKING

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc623

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have 2 mls - sidelock persuccion.
I am toying with the idea of restocking them.
I would like input/recommendations/ and/or thoughts as how to proceed.
Thanks in advance

Why? You don't give any info. Are they old? New? Cracked? Dirty? What kind of gun are they on? Is it worth the effort.

If you are planning to build the stocks from scratch, do not shape the wood (butt, forend etc.)until the barrel channel, lock, and tenons or keys are installed.

Resist the temptation! You will thank me later.

Store bought stock blanks are shaped so that the recipient does not feel like he got rolled and bought a plain 2x4. And sometimes the builder wants to build a rifle that is historically correct, and without access to the real article must rely on a blank for the proper dimensions.

Re-stocking in your case might be extremely easy if the rifles have a straight octagonal barrel. Finding a suitable pre-shaped blank might take all of 10 seconds to find.

You stated that they were sidelock percussion, did you mean sidehammer? Sidelock can describe a whole slough of different arms.

Have fun!

:)

Why? You don't give any info. Are they old? New? Cracked? Dirty? What kind of gun are they on? Is it worth the effort.

Details - ok.
The rifles are one old(20 years and little used)with a non discript wood stock and one is only 5-8 years old with a synthetic stock.
Not cracked.
If were dirty I would clean them.
They are CVA and Lyman if I remember correctly - not in front of me currently.
Both are half stock with approx 28" barrels.
What other information can I give?

Go for it. Since those are both common rifles and many a man has restocked those exact same ones, information and materials abound.
If the mechanicals are sound, this is a perfect opportunity to get some stocking experience.

:front:

Go for it. Since those are both common rifles and many a man has restocked those exact same ones, information and materials abound.
If the mechanicals are sound, this is a perfect opportunity to get some stocking experience.

:front:

I agree with that. Buy a precarved stock if you have little or no experience. Or a blank if you know which end of the chisel is sharp. Either way, these are common guns and new stocks are readily available from many makers.

Thanks.
Now can any of you suggest where to start looking for a precarved stock. And what do you mean by 'precarved'?
I do know which end of a chisel is sharp but sometimes I am kind of dull.

Track of the Wolf, and Pecatonica River both have replacement pre-carved stocks for production guns.

Pre-carved means it's already carved into the general shape of the stock you're after, the barrel channel is cut, etc. You just have to fit the parts into it and do final shaping and finishing. The alternative is a stock blank, where you have to do ALL of the inletting, shaping, etc.

You definitely want to go the pre-carved route to begin with.

Years ago I restocked my CVA Mountain Rifle with a Leman stock from Pecatonica River. The CVA stock was a little too short to be comfortable shooting all day. For that particular rifle, the only original part from the gun that I had to change was the butt plate. The old one was too wide.

I did change the nose cap and entry thimble for esthetic purposes. They just looked better on the new rifle than the original pewterish one.

This stock was preshaped and had the barrel channel and ramrod channel drilled. The rest was left to me. It was about as much work as building a new rifle. I had to install staples because the original underlugs would go into the ramrod channel. All the rest had to be done just like building a new rifle.

I'm no fan of pre-inlet kits but if TOW or Pecatonica has those type of stocks for the rifles your working with, they can save you a lot of work.

Back