• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Researching Value for my Dad's Muzzleloading Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisD

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm hoping someone can help me identify and provide a value for my dad's rifle. My dad purchased this probably in the late 60's or early 70's. He was a history teacher, loved to shoot and the Civil War era. It may be a kit due to the fact that we didn't have a lot of money but wanted a muzzleloader to shoot. Here are the details. The only markings on the top of the barrel read: FARA Cardone V.T. Italy .58 Caliber. On the side of the barrel it has FARA 4178. The barrel is rifled and looks to be in good shape. It has a lug to accommodate a replica bayonet which he purchased. He poured his own lead bullets. I have attached pictures as well. I would like to sell it so if anyone has suggestions or comments on the value or history, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Dennis
Muzzle 1.jpg
Muzzle 2.jpg
Muzzle 3.jpg
Muzzle 4.jpg
Muzzle 5.jpg
Muzzle 6.jpg
Muzzle 7.jpg
Muzzle 8.jpg
Muzzle 9.jpg

Looks like a factory built Zouave .58 rifled musket to me. These were imported during the time frame you mention and were fairly popular. Can't help with price but don't give it away.

Welcome to the board ! !

The best way to determine it's current value would be to surf (only) sold like guns on the guns-only auction websites, to find out how much somebody was recently been willing to pay for one.

Remember, "opening bid" & "buy-it-now" dollar amounts or unsold items are not values - they're just what some seller would like to get for one.

I have one like it within a few hundred numbers of your serial number. I did a lot of research before finding anything about the manufacturer. Information on them is about none existent as far as I could find.
F A R A was an Italian manufacturer owned by one of the Zoli brothers. In good shape the rifle’s current value was about $300 more or less, in 2019. But that was before firearms prices started to rise. With the bayonet, the price would be more but I don’t know what the bayonet is worth. But as Pietro suggested, check the online gun auctions for the sold price or buy now price. The FARA Zouaves usually don’t bringing as much as the Antonio Zoli models.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Looks like a factory built Zouave .58 rifled musket to me. These were imported during the time frame you mention and were fairly popular. Can't help with price but don't give it away.
I have one like it within a few hundred numbers of your serial number. I did a lot of research before finding anything about the manufacturer. Information on them is about none existent as far as I could find.
F A R A was an Italian manufacturer owned by one of the Zoli brothers. In good shape the rifle’s current value was about $

300 more or less, in 2019. But that was before firearms prices started to rise. With the bayonet, the price would be more but I don’t know what the bayonet is worth. But as Pietro suggested, check the online gun auctions for the sold price or buy now price. The FARA Zouaves usually don’t bringing as much as the Antonio Zoli models.
Good luck.
Hello, Thank you for the information from all three of you, it really helps. I did some research on the Zouave and it sure looks to be the same. When I advertise it, do you think I could list it as a FARA Zouave and should it be called a replica? I just don't want to mislead anyone.
Thank you!!

Welcome to the board ! !

The best way to determine it's current value would be to surf (only) sold like guns on the guns-only auction websites, to find out how much somebody was recently been willing to pay for one.

Remember, "opening bid" & "buy-it-now" dollar amounts or unsold items are not values - they're just what some seller would like to get for one.
Hi Pietro, Thank you for the suggestion about pricing, that makes sense. I'll start doing some research.
Thank you!!

DD, I would list at what it is, a FARA Zouave. On my FARA Zouave, the finish and fitting is excellent. I suspect yours is the same. Just because it is not an Antonio Zoli, does not mean it does not have value, especially since it has a bayonet. I’d start at $400 and let it go up on an auction site. But do your research on the auction sites. And see if you can learn anything on the gunvaluesboard.com site. Good luck.

'Gardone V T' is Gardone Val Trompia, the city in Brescia that is famous for arms and latterly guns since the late Middle Ages. It is also the location of the Italian State Proof House, where ALL firearms made in Italy for commercial sale have to go for gun proof. Somewhere on your gun it will have ALL the markings of proof - a date stamp in a little square cartouche - probably a Roman number - the letters PN - Polvere Nero = black powder, surmounted, usually, by a star in a circle. The main stamp will show the star of the Republic of Italy surmounting a shield bearing the coat of arms of GvT. It might also have a stamp in English - BLACK POWDER ONLY, or just BLACK POWDER.

It might be obvious to some that with the name FARA in front of it that it is a replica, but IMO you ought to list it as such, just in case - there are some odd folks out there.

DD, I would list at what it is, a FARA Zouave. On my FARA Zouave, the finish and fitting is excellent. I suspect yours is the same. Just because it is not an Antonio Zoli, does not mean it does not have value, especially since it has a bayonet. I’d start at $400 and let it go up on an auction site. But do your research on the auction sites. And see if you can learn anything on the gunvaluesboard.com site. Good luck.
Hi PPG, Thank you again for the valuable information. very interesting. I wish I had more facts on the bayonet. I've been looking at a few auction sites. Do you have experience with any of them that you've had good luck with?
Take care!!
Dennis

Do you have experience with any of them that you've had good luck with?
[/QUOTE]

Dennis, the only one I have ever used was Gun Broker. I would try this forums “for sale” thread first. You might use the search section to see if anyone has used one of the auction sites. Or if you cannot find one in the search section, post it as a thread in General Muzzleloading. Someone should have experience with an auction site. The best thing about a muzzleloader is it can ship straight to someone’s door. You can ship muzzleloaders via the USPS and probably UPS. I only have experience with USPS.
Good luck.

I guess I have a different take on the value of that rifle. My dad had three guns his whole life that he hunted with, unmentionables on this forum, but one shot a .22 caliber bullet for small game, another used shot for birds and bunnies, and one a "big game" rifle that he bought in the 1940's that he hunted deer and bear with until his passing in 2016 at a ripe old age. The value of these "unmentionables" combined wouldn't amount to $600, but for a me they are beyond value! They are my Dad's guns, and I would never consider parting with them for any price. Can't imagine selling a personal item of my Dad's and the memories that go with it. For what it is worth, my son sold his first gun, a cheap CVA deerhunter with a woodstock, that he killed his first 10-15 deer with. He didn't value it and the memories until AFTER he sold it, for very little, and then it was too late. Just my perspective.

Back