• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Repro Colt Baby Dragoon for a Newbie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexei

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Really, really new to this hobby. I recently picked a Baby Dragoon up from another board member, it was naked, w/o a box or "papers". Regardless, I couldn't wait to fire it, and ran out and discharged a cylinder of balls w/o any hiccups (reading some of the 1849 Pocket Pistol woes posted elsewhere, I feel extremely fortunate). I used very old No.10 caps and they worked fine, but I have read that No.11's are more appropriate. Anyway, what is the proper 3Fg charge. 12 grains ? Any other advice ?

Twelve grains is about right. You might be able to squeeze a couple more grains in but that's up to you. You are fortunate to have a pocket colt that shoots with out cap jams.

Don

Thanks for the advice. I must explain that the caps were from 1966, "foil-lined", and worked flawlessly. Ah, the luck of the ignorant.

No. 10 caps are more appropriate but then again some manufacturers of revolvers differ on the nipples they outfit their guns with. If you want to prevent any cap jams just apply some JB weld to the nose of the hammer. There is a groove there thats not neccessary and when the gun is fired the caps back up into that groove and are pulled off.

There is a groove there thats not neccessary and when the gun is fired the caps back up into that groove and are pulled off.

Only if you don't plan on using the safety pins. I carry mine fully loaded and that is not an option I want to give up. I know some folks seem to have a lot of problems with cap jams...it has never been a real issue on my to 2nd Generation Colts. I have one that has never jammed ("knock on wood") and another that is so infrequent, I generally don't even think about it. I do slightly crimp the caps before putting them on and slightly flick my wrist to the outside when I cock the weapon.

I guess if I were having a lot of problems with this, I might try the JB Weld. Since I don't, I'll continue to use mine as they were designed.

A little suggestion:
The small parts that make your revolver rotate are frail.
To help these parts from failing you must keep the cylinder from binding.( When using black powder )
To do so, you must keep the cylinder pin, and the hole in which the pin (axle) fits clean and lubed. Also a little spray of WD40 to the innards won't hurt.
With out this process my 49er will seize up.
If I use Pyrodex, I can shoot all day, without any problems. I must admit that I do not like Pyrodex, but it does work in my BP hand guns.

Latest posts

Back