• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Replacing white lightning liner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drago

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Is it possible to replace the liner without removing the breach plug? I was thinking that measuring the amount removed would tell how deep it needs to be. I have never done one so don't know if this will work or not.

I am not a gun builder, but have White Lighting vent liners on a rifle and a fowler. They are great. They were installed during the builds by James Klien and Brian Turner.

Are you wanting to replace an existing vent liner with a White Lighting liner? The thread size will probably be different. I called Jim Chambers about replacing the 5/16X24 vent liner with his White Lighting liner on a poor boy rifle built from a Track of the Wolf kit. He said the barrel would have to,be plugged and re-welded and tapped for his finer thread vent liner. It is not something I wanted to do.

Sure it's possible to replace a White Lightning liner but you really should need to do it before you try. The process will probably destroy the liner.

One way is to drill out the vent hole to a size that an Ezy Out will fit. Then screw the Ezy in (left hand thread) and the liner will unscrew.

The other way is to use a Dremel tool with a metal cutting disk to cut a slot across the vent hole.
A screw driver can then be used in the slot to unscrew the liner.

Unscrewing the breech plug wouldn't do anything to aid removing any vent liner.

My question is why do you want to remove the liner?
The only good reason I can think of is if the hole thru it has become too large and IMO any size on a .50 cal or larger up to .080 will still work.

I have a WL liner that seems like it is too large. POI has dropped and side blowby seems greater. I am not positive it is the liner yet but seems like the culprit.

It depends on barrel thickness. On thick barrels your new WL liner may not protrude into the breech. In thinner barrels you will have to unbreach and file away the excess protruding into the breech.

If'n it were my gun, I'd remove the breechplug. Then the manner in which the WL was installed can be seen. Drill the WL w/ a drill suited to an Easy Out as was said. The exact length of the WL can then be determined visually by looking inside the breech.

When ctsking for the corresonding sealing angle on the WL, go deep enough w/ the ctsk so as to achieve a TH land of .03-.05. It's possible to have a TH that has a "feathered edge" which will "blow out" if the ctsk is too shallow.

More than likely, the finish will be removed when filing and sanding the WL flush w/ the bbl.

Good luck..... and breechplugs aren't that difficult to remove if some precautions are taken.....Fred

I don't see how a stainless liner could be burned out. Maybe somebody drilled it out but like Zonie said, if it isn't over .080 it will be OK. I used to use a .080 touch hole on my hunting rifles because It was a more sure ignition. Actuall they were .078

Just a side note here.

There are two "different" liners out there that go by the name - white lightnin' -(no g on the end).

One is sold by Track of the Wolf and another sold by Jim Chambers.

The one from Chambers is the superior liner and the one that first came out with the name.

Jim has mentioned that the one sold by Track is NOT his liner and he has no idea who is producing it.

So if you are going to replace it I would source one from Chambers if you want to be sure what it is you are screwing into the side of your barrel.

Sure that would work. Put back Exactly same length as you took out. However, on thin barrels I take a tiny carbide bur & I cut the vent liner same as the grooves in the barrel. And to do that, one would have to remove the breechplug to access the inside of the bore at the vent liner.

If your barrel is browned or blued, you will most likely screw that up, as I don't know any way to get it perfectly flush without filing it. And not hitting the barrel in doing so is virtually impossible, IMHO.

Note: If you changed Patches, Ball Brand, ball size, patch lube, etc. that would make a dif in vent pressure & amount of gas vented. Just about anything you change in the bore in regards to the load/combo, could change the POI. Even swabbing or swabbing fluid, thickness of swabbing patch, jag size, etc. A change sometimes = a POI change.

Keith Lisle

Back